Tranmission Finally Got Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know man. I'd think that would be a piece of cake. Tune makes more power. More load on the drivetrain. Probably the easiest thing ever to prove in court.

I agree completely, and I don't think it would even go to court, I don't think most enthusiasts would try to blame the mfg. I still feel like we ought to know what's actually going on in the transmission, there are a lot of moving parts, electronics, wear items ETC. If the OP drops the pan and sees shavings or chunks thats one thing, but there are a lot of things that can cause problems that are unrelated to hard parts, wear items or even general transmission condition.

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I agree completely, and I don't think it would even go to court, I don't think most enthusiasts would try to blame the mfg. I still feel like we ought to know what's actually going on in the transmission, there are a lot of moving parts, electronics, wear items ETC. If the OP drops the pan and sees shavings or chunks thats one thing, but there are a lot of things that can cause problems that are unrelated to hard parts, wear items or even general transmission condition.
I think its actually pretty unlikely there is a mechanical issue with the transmission. They are built very solid. These are not like the old automatics. The inside of the transmission is literally filled with wires and solenoids. There is a very good chance its electronic. The valve body is all electronic. Unfortunately even a tune could link to an electric fault in the transmission. Keep in mind, my truck was NOT tuned and covered under full warranty. When mine first broke, they replaced the valve body and it worked fine for exactly 126 miles. I was on the highway with the cruise set at 70mph and it shifted into 1st gear out of nowhere. Tires skidded, oil everywhere. I limped the truck to a parking lot and let it cool. It was fine driving home very easy on the gas and kept it under 60mph. The next day it was slipping out of gear and shifting all over the place. They replaced the whole transmission with a new one. That one lasted 830 miles and started slipping and jamming into gear. They replaced it again. I had a few slip/grab issues with this transmission too and then just traded the truck for a Roush F250. Now, if i had a tune and this was not covered by warranty, I would be out of pocket for a valve body which i would guess has to be in the 3k range and 2 transmissions which are probably at least 10k installed i would guess. Maybe more since it was never right. When i traded my truck in, it had 3400 miles only! And was on its 3rd transmission. I would say there was a better chance it would fail then not if i had the trans replaced again. I was just done not being able to trust my brand new truck to get the kids to school in the morning. I lost about 6k trading it in which i was perfectly ok with because i got over 12k off the Roush truck. I LOVED my 3 Raptors but after the last one i just cannot trust that 10 speed. The Roush F250 is like a giant Raptor anyways. The powerstroke is a BEAST!!

D

Deleted member 17706

The tune has been removed since before December.

Good to know. Once you hit a certain amount of ignition starts without the tune, the tune will disappear and not be traced via the ECU. Some had told me it takes 1000 starts for this to happen, while others have said it takes a lot more. Hopefully in your case it isn’t brought up by the dealership. Keep us updated with what happens.

D

Deleted member 17706

Wow man, really impressed by you, especially your Latin and your total inability to treat people with any dignity whatsoever, your ability to argue by attacking people and talking down to them. The good news is I don't have to argue with someone who wants nothing but treat strangers like shit, and has no interest in actually coming to a conclusion, so you win! Welcome to ignore.

For the future readers of this thread, please take the time to understand your rights, specifically as they pertain to the installation of aftermarket parts, tunes etc. And what legal actions you have available in the case of a claim denial. Please don't assume outright that "a tune" absolves Ford from any and all drive train related warranty responsibilities as has been inferred by this thread. There is a pretty good review of this exact topic from an enthusiasts point of view here:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...ll-aftermarket-parts-will-void-your-warranty/

Make your own judgements.

To the OP, sorry this got so far off track, hopefully you can get some quality input.

Dude, my comments were directed against your argumentation and not your personhood. Just because I use a Latin phrase to inform you of the type of fallacious argument that you are using against me does not mean I am not treating you without dignity. It is simply saying you are using flawed argumentation—not that you are a bad human being. Latin phrases are used in courthouses across America everyday not to mention the impeachment hearing we have centered on the phrase “quid pro quo.” Such phrases are not an insult to you or anyone else’s humanity, who may not know what they mean. So don’t take it personal. It is simply a tool to rebuttal an argument and nothing more.

Yes, everyone should know their rights when going the aftermarket route. But everyone should also take heed to the picture that I shared earlier in the thread because that was a Ford senior mechanic sharing his experience on the subject.

D

Deleted member 17706

I think its actually pretty unlikely there is a mechanical issue with the transmission. They are built very solid. These are not like the old automatics. The inside of the transmission is literally filled with wires and solenoids. There is a very good chance its electronic. The valve body is all electronic. Unfortunately even a tune could link to an electric fault in the transmission. Keep in mind, my truck was NOT tuned and covered under full warranty. When mine first broke, they replaced the valve body and it worked fine for exactly 126 miles. I was on the highway with the cruise set at 70mph and it shifted into 1st gear out of nowhere. Tires skidded, oil everywhere. I limped the truck to a parking lot and let it cool. It was fine driving home very easy on the gas and kept it under 60mph. The next day it was slipping out of gear and shifting all over the place. They replaced the whole transmission with a new one. That one lasted 830 miles and started slipping and jamming into gear. They replaced it again. I had a few slip/grab issues with this transmission too and then just traded the truck for a Roush F250. Now, if i had a tune and this was not covered by warranty, I would be out of pocket for a valve body which i would guess has to be in the 3k range and 2 transmissions which are probably at least 10k installed i would guess. Maybe more since it was never right. When i traded my truck in, it had 3400 miles only! And was on its 3rd transmission. I would say there was a better chance it would fail then not if i had the trans replaced again. I was just done not being able to trust my brand new truck to get the kids to school in the morning. I lost about 6k trading it in which i was perfectly ok with because i got over 12k off the Roush truck. I LOVED my 3 Raptors but after the last one i just cannot trust that 10 speed. The Roush F250 is like a giant Raptor anyways. The powerstroke is a BEAST!!

I have been tempted to buy a F250, but I don’t want to spend the money on aftermarket suspension components to make it off-road worthy, which would more in likely take me out of warranty with Ford. They are good looking trucks!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think just a set of shocks makes any vehicle off-road worthy.
I don't even see a supplemental warranty for the so called,
"ROUSH / FOX 2.0 Performance Series Suspension System - Leveling Kit"
This is one of those Roush/Dealer lies again that it's full warranty.

Not from Ford, that's for sure, we've been down this road before.

You can buy an even better set of shocks for a fraction of the price this whole package costs.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer inquired about my mods. I said I have the exhaust and FMIC with BOV. I had 16 codes show up.

Of course I have a CEL because of the FMIC and exhaust and no tune so... I hope they undestand that, but shifting hard as **** into 5th and clunking into drive has nothing to do with the ******* exhaust.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good jesus.... so Sheehy Marlow Heights is talking about 8 hours of Diag, with no damn rental. Nope. Heading to Ourisman in Alexandria and then Ted Britt.

They think its a performance issue, no FMIC or Exhaust makes the ******* transmission jerk into gears.