Trading my 2014 SVT truck for a 23 Avalanche tomorrow. Kind of misty about it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jumped into this thinking he was about to get a chevy (avalanche) thank heaven he's not.

Just got back early Sat morning after spending a week in a sliverato 4x?? in MN.
It was a rental-ugh.
Damn it felt SO GOOD to get back in my GEN 1 SCAB and drive it home Saturday.
My opinion on the chevy (like nissen-****-un, a toyotie taco/turdra, etc, is that if you have one given to you, drive it until you can afford to buy yourself a truck.

I did not care much for the ford f-150 4x crewcab I rented last fall either, but it was far better than that chevy

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my 14 but it’s old now. Still looks cool though for the year, I was driving behind a white one today and was like damn these look good. But if I could get a 37pp at msrp I wouldn’t hesitate. Enjoy the vast upgrade.

OP
OP
G

GoHerd2000

Reaction score
I really like my 14 but it’s old now. Still looks cool though for the year, I was driving behind a white one today and was like damn these look good. But if I could get a 37pp at msrp I wouldn’t hesitate. Enjoy the vast upgrade.

Exactly how I felt.
If I had a pristine dry climate example I'd have stayed with her.
I like to keep the cars clean and everytime I washed her the areas with rust showing would kill me.
I can live with the frame surface rust but the rockers were bubbling pretty good and small things like the area around all the parking sensors on the bumper were bubbling etc. Cosmetic but annoying.

Side note - I was going to get real crazy and switch her out for a Lightning.
I've been on the lookout for a MSRP Raptor deal while I had a reservation in for Lighting (May 2021). Got the call to order this January. I submitted the order while hoping super charging along my frequented routes would improve/get any. It didn't happen and I cancelled the order. I see Elon is starting to open the Tesla superchargers to non Tesla electrics now....

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum used on 2015+ F-150 and 2017+ Super Duty is far superior to the old steel bodies in strength and dent resistance.
presume savings are in weight, if same thickness of steel was used instead.
Do you think same thickness of aluminum would provide same dent resistance? If so, what is the aluminium alloy/temper that is used for the current ford body panels?

Disregard, have since read a description of alloys used by Ford depending on material characteristics needed. Also that steel is still used in critical areas.

If you live in areas where corrosion is a problem from road salt or coastal areas, then the Al is definitely helpful.

Seeing the effects after 5 years or so on the vehicles in northern areas is sobering.
Sad to see how quickly the corrosion sets in on vehicles after a few years, with some exhibiting significant damage after 5+ years

Last edited:

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum body F150's are far more dent resistant than steel bodied F150's, speaking from experience.

2017 ish, 50f all day, roads melt, water runs across them, then freezes into polished ice. Nighttime, drops to below freezing and snows, making some parts of the road dirt covered in snow, and some parts polished glare ice covered in snow. For those unfamiliar, ice with fresh snow is literally so slippery you cannot stand on it, let alone turn...

Anyway, slide off the edge of the road, think I just wrecked a brand new truck, nope. Even rolling over down an embankment and the aluminum remained dent free.

Pic 1: Wider view. Can just see truck in corner of pic:

IMG_4032.JPG

Pic 2: Shot of truck:

IMG_4033.JPG

Pic 3, next day, zero damage. No dents. Light scratches that buffed out. If it was a steel body truck it is likely the entire side of the box and doors would have caved.

IMG_2195.PNG

Last edited:

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated the new aluminum bodies are no joke. I've also seen paint rubbed off down to bare aluminum on the body with Michigan winter exposure on a friends truck and 0 corrision to bare aluminum. These are not the crap aluminum hoods that ford has had problems with over the years in other vehicles. Now if they would do this type of quality work on other parts of the vehicle we would be in business.