Trade to Dealer or Sell at same price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenbrackins

Reaction score
My dealer who is only charging $10k ADM (only??). My question is should I trade my 2018 garage kept, creampuff Raptor to them or should I give the same deal (the amount including the extra sales tax I would be paying) to an individual that would be saving about 5K over what dealer will be charging? The trade is on the low side of KBB trade in and I feel it should be on the high end as it is fairly low mileage (37k miles) and in excellent condition with a tri-fold tonneau. It will be less hassle to trade but they are already making a decent profit off of me so I feel like giving someone else a decent deal would be more palatable. Also, I would advertise it as a "take it or leave it" no haggle deal as I wouldn't sell it cheaper than the trade-in price of course so that would make it a little less of a hassle. Opinions?

wyomingraptor

Reaction score
If the dealer budged on the adm , probably go there..
Sell it outright only to a good home. I am told I am weird when I talk about my cars having a soul. Can you sleep while your baby is in bed with another?

I am keeping my 2014 Raptor. Best damn truck I have I ever owned.

I really have a hard time selling anything. I am fortunate that I have a large outbuilding!

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer who is only charging $10k ADM (only??). My question is should I trade my 2018 garage kept, creampuff Raptor to them or should I give the same deal (the amount including the extra sales tax I would be paying) to an individual that would be saving about 5K over what dealer will be charging? The trade is on the low side of KBB trade in and I feel it should be on the high end as it is fairly low mileage (37k miles) and in excellent condition with a tri-fold tonneau. It will be less hassle to trade but they are already making a decent profit off of me so I feel like giving someone else a decent deal would be more palatable. Also, I would advertise it as a "take it or leave it" no haggle deal as I wouldn't sell it cheaper than the trade-in price of course so that would make it a little less of a hassle. Opinions?
Sell it to an individual. The personal touch of walking through a truck with the previous owner, is always nice.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade it. I believe you get some tax inventive or something.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I say keep it…I told myself that I will keep my ‘14 GEN 1 as long as I can…I have sold a few truck and cars that I wish I still had bc of my personal connection working on them and driving a special performance vehicle. Before COVID and then during the peak of the used/new truck market shortage I had two different dealerships in two very different markets and locations offered to buy my truck. The first one wanted to include a trade deal with the new Broncos coming in and the second was a cash buy. I was curious and just for s & g I sat down with him and asked how much? I had bought my previous truck from this dealership and had a history with them, service etc. He was a collector of some really nice rides he personally owned, so I gave him the opportunity to offer me a legit offer to buy. I will say that while he didn’t offer the original selling price from back in ‘14, he did offer a very high amount. That was last year and markets change, conditions etc., so who knows, everything has a price? But so far I’m still smiling every time I get behind my Beast and start her up. My 2 pennies