Trade in value drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I want to see one day, is when someone trades in a vehicle that they paid a ADM or market value adjustment, that the dealership takes that into play, and gives them an adjustment on the trade in... just to say thank you for keeping them afloat during the Economic poop storm that was COVID. :doh2:

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I want to see one day, is when someone trades in a vehicle that they paid a ADM or market value adjustment, that the dealership takes that into play, and gives them an adjustment on the trade in... just to say thank you for keeping them afloat during the Economic poop storm that was COVID. :doh2:

Yeah not happening after having sold 2 Raptors one Gen 1 where I lost 16k on over 5 years and another 1 where I lost 6k over 3 years. I can tell you 80-90k trucks which depreciate to 50k in 5 years and to 20k at 10 years is LOL. What do you expect though? The US market has always and always will favor Japanese import values over domestic. Always

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah not happening after having sold 2 Raptors one Gen 1 where I lost 16k on over 5 years and another 1 where I lost 6k over 3 years. I can tell you 80-90k trucks which depreciate to 50k in 5 years and to 20k at 10 years is LOL. What do you expect though? The US market has always and always will favor Japanese import values over domestic. Always
I tried to purchase 2 gen 1 raptors not too long ago, before I found one in the private market. Both sales, the dealer refused to sell me the truck because either:

A. I did not have a trade in to give them (low stock on used cars I would imagine)
and
B. I was paying cash instead of financing through them.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every time there is a downturn in the market, I think that this will be the time that people wise up and stop buying things they don't need. The economy really is going to crawl to a standstill. Every time, people stupidly continue to spend money like they just won the lottery using credit they have no plan to ever pay back. So yes, I'm skeptical about any market projection that relies on consumers to react logically.
Haha if you put it that way I’d have to concede there’s some truth there, lotta dummies w/ $$$ burning a hole in their wallet & very short sighted outlooks

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried to purchase 2 gen 1 raptors not too long ago, before I found one in the private market. Both sales, the dealer refused to sell me the truck because either:

A. I did not have a trade in to give them (low stock on used cars I would imagine)
and
B. I was paying cash instead of financing through them.

Yeah, this makes sense. All I have seen on AT is just a bunch of dealers saying they will pay 50k only to go to 47-49k when you show up. Dealers are the worse, they expect to make 10-20k or more on the truck they sell then at least 10k on the truck you trade in. This whole current dealer situation can not change fast enough.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not many happy campers getting crap money for their vehicle then having to pay MSRP for the new one. You have to take care of your own bottom line.

One of the arguments in favor of MSRP only pricing is that your used vehicles will hold value better because buyer's won't ever be able to get the new model for cheap. That's true, assuming MSPR never goes down, which Tesla just did. The market's gonna market.

I'd rather just let market forces be instead of trying to put artificial pricing in their. I'm happy to buy a vehicle for what it's worth and sell it for what's worth, knowing that those with better connections, negotiating skills, or willingness to put forth the effort can get the better deal than me.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude what is MSRP but artificial pricing? Now auto makers are wising up and discounting MSRP for the dealers to deal with.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The US market has always and always will favor Japanese import values over domestic. Always

so... hold on. are you really thinking that ’17 Taco or Tundra is going to be holding on to its resale or trade in value better than an F150 or a Rap?

Because I don’t see a lot of the imports on work sites, oil fields or in fleets. Maybe you have a different observation ?

There was a lot higher production per year of the ’17-’20 Raptor than there were Jen Juan trucks, which have been on the road longer, and of course wearing, getting taken out by cell phone yakkers, etc. So getting a Jen Juan is necessarily more challenging than getting a Jen Too.

The market is just correcting. The Jen Juan owners were, I think rightly pointing out that the Jen Too was overpriced to begin with and the Jen Tres? Yeah, that’s a bit spendy too. So there’s going to be a bigger drop off in Jen Too values over the first few years as used consumers don’t want to pay the stiff ~70k for a loaded Jen Too new, because realistically it was about 10k over priced to begin with. And we still paid it. Hell, some of us were on here flexing about how much over MSRP we paid for our ’17’s and ’18’s ...

The Jen Tres is going to also show a pretty steep drop in the first few years once the correction settles in because again, it’s not 90k worth of truck.

But all of this will be fine because other trucks out there won’t be fairing any better.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
F150s altogether are over priced at msrp. I be willing to bet you that ford will drop the msrp on the f150 like they did the explorer. I don't know what your slanging for Jen. Have you priced a 2007 or 2008 sti with low miles and all original? Some on bat are going for 60 to 70k and the s209 selling for 100k. I'm saying people paying 80 to 90k for this truck to only have it worth 50k in

5 years is lol and rofl, My priorities are different though. I love international travel and going out to eat too much to divert discretionary income to a work truck. For me to be comfortable losing 30-40k every 5 years I would need to make 500-750k per year or own my own business were I depreciated the crap out of the truck. Anyway doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Raptorny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F150s altogether are over priced at msrp. I be willing to bet you that ford will drop the msrp on the f150 like they did the explorer. I don't know what your slanging for Jen. Have you priced a 2007 or 2008 sti with low miles and all original? Some on bat are going for 60 to 70k and the s209 selling for 100k. I'm saying people paying 80 to 90k for this truck to only have it worth 50k in

5 years is lol and rofl, My priorities are different though. I love international travel and going out to eat too much to divert discretionary income to a work truck. For me to be comfortable losing 30-40k every 5 years I would need to make 500-750k per year or own my own business were I depreciated the crap out of the truck. Anyway doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah but most people are trading them every couple of years are not losing money. I never lost on any of my raptor trades. Most of the time I got at least 10 k more Than I owed and I never put anything down