Trade in value drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ever gets so bad that Ford starts selling R's for $30k below, you can bet they stop building them. TRX forced their hand anyway. They just need an excuse to cut it off.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The trade value on Gen 2s has dropped like a ROCK, no dealer anywhere in my area will touch one for over 50k looks like that is the breaking point. Bringing 45-48k trade in my area

flyflyguy8617

Reaction score
so what happens next? What happens next is no more price hike on new ones from the factory, then no more dealers doing ADM, then more of em start to sit on lots longer chewing up high interest credit lines month after month, then fewer & fewer buyers coming in, then the discounts start, then the interest rates start to ease again, & then someone like me walks in w/ a big chunk of cash down payment & walks out w/ an R @ $30k UNDER sticker

People forget….the above scenario has also been more the norm than the exception for periods of time
Keep dreaming.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah someone will all be able to make a profit but with Vroom, CarMax, et al. out there it keeps crappy dealers in check.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep dreaming.
You must’ve missed my follow up reply to this where I cite specific examples of this exact phenomenon on high end vehicles only 5-6 years ago, ones that stickered for $70-80k not $110k, even more room to slash price.

1000% will happen, zero doubt in my mind. Zero.

$17.5k off sticker on a Denali ultimate in 2018 ;-)

You don’t think over priced high end vehicles will see prices slashed in the not too distant future? Bro…you should come see my bridge portfolio I have an excellent one in Brooklyn, NY you may be interested in!

Wait til you see the discounts on million dollar real estate let alone overpriced F150s w/ blown V8s in em!!

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fellas, “trade in” value is not a good benchmark of actual values. Its only a data point. Dealers are desperate right now and will screw you over in any way they can to pull max profit from you. Best way to get a clearer picture would be to pull country wide auction #’s to see what these things are pulling on blocks across the US. Thats a better in-site on the value currently.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A long time ago, way way way way back in the olden times of 2018, when I was shopping trucks after my 2015 GMC got wrecked by a deer, I cross shopped everything, I have a quote/offer from a GMC dealer for 2019 Denali ultimate loaded to the gills & $17.5k off sticker…..except that wasn’t decades ago that was only 5 years ago, when gas was like $2 & the GMC financing was 1%!!!

$4 gas, & 5-7% rates & inflation up the a$$ = the scenario I described above is 1000% plausible in the extremely near future, except that maybe the Raptor R & TRX will be more like $40k off sticker

Also- was offer $12k off sticker for a 2018 C7 Z06 vette M7 the exact same time I was shopping for a truck….

Every time there is a downturn in the market, I think that this will be the time that people wise up and stop buying things they don't need. The economy really is going to crawl to a standstill. Every time, people stupidly continue to spend money like they just won the lottery using credit they have no plan to ever pay back. So yes, I'm skeptical about any market projection that relies on consumers to react logically.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fellas, “trade in” value is not a good benchmark of actual values. Its only a data point. Dealers are desperate right now and will screw you over in any way they can to pull max profit from you. Best way to get a clearer picture would be to pull country wide auction #’s to see what these things are pulling on blocks across the US. Thats a better in-site on the value currently.

Uh yeah, I just got 51k for mine and I am taking it and running. Retail values right now are 48k to 55k and that is for fully loaded. At 10 percent interest these things are not moving. The gap between the halves and not halves is larger than ever. You do you but the Gen 2s are falling like a ROCK.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish MSRP was the price period. If the vehicle is overvalued and tends to go under MSRP, then the manufacturer needs to reduce the price. There shouldn't' be any negotiation process when buying a new car. It makes car shopping harder comparing brands when some brands cost 70K on the website but really 60K OTD, while other brands are 70K on the web and 70K OTD. Saturn back in the day had the right idea, pay the price, don't like it go haggle with Chevy for 6 hours for a cavalier. Sales guys there also didn't work on commission.

Maunfacturers already use rebates to lower the price temporarily when they need to clear out stock.

I don't want to overpay for a vehicle and pay MSRP when the dealer is happy to sell for less. At the same time, I don't feel like I should be guaranteed an MSRP price when some other guy is willing to pay more than me. I'm not against an non-negotiable price business model, but the reality is that I'll likely end up going with the brand where I can negotiate the best deal.

You could argue that Tesla use the set price model now because they don't have any dealer to negotiate a price, and they have (had) a backlog of orders to the point that they really didn't need it. They recently lowered their prices, which really didn't make the customers who just bought at the higher price rather unhappy.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maunfacturers already use rebates to lower the price temporarily when they need to clear out stock.

I don't want to overpay for a vehicle and pay MSRP when the dealer is happy to sell for less. At the same time, I don't feel like I should be guaranteed an MSRP price when some other guy is willing to pay more than me. I'm not against an non-negotiable price business model, but the reality is that I'll likely end up going with the brand where I can negotiate the best deal.

You could argue that Tesla use the set price model now because they don't have any dealer to negotiate a price, and they have (had) a backlog of orders to the point that they really didn't need it. They recently lowered their prices, which really didn't make the customers who just bought at the higher price rather unhappy.

Not many happy campers getting crap money for their vehicle then having to pay MSRP for the new one. You have to take care of your own bottom line.