Trade in my gen1 for a 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading in my 2013 raptor for a loaded 2020. Anybody have buyers remorse moving from a gen1 to a gen2? I live in the salt belt, so I'm at a point where I either trade soon while I can get a decent amount on trade, or keep it till it eventually returns to mother earth...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's funny! Honestly,i wouldnt worry about the value of your gen 1 for a reason to get rid of it, you'll lose more than that as soon as you drive the new one home from the dealer. I get that a new vehicle smells nice and stuff though. On the other hand if it is rusting away to pixie dust, you should upgrade before you're using fred flinstone feet to get it down the road.

D

Deleted member 17706

Looking at trading in my 2013 raptor for a loaded 2020. Anybody have buyers remorse moving from a gen1 to a gen2? I live in the salt belt, so I'm at a point where I either trade soon while I can get a decent amount on trade, or keep it till it eventually returns to mother earth...

I have owned three Gen 1s, so the Gen 1s are near and dear to me. But I have had zero regrets after getting rid of my last Gen 1 back in March for an 802A 2020. I say do it.

OP
OP
fordfreek

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust is my biggest concern. I love my gen1, but if you drive it in the winter here eventually it will rust away. I've seen brand x truck frames rust to the point they fold like a taco. And not using your four wheel drive in the winter to prevent rusting seems like a waste. So....trading more frequently seems logical to me at this point.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my gen 2 despite how many people complain about the exhaust sound. the truck really moves for a 6000 pound vehicle while having pretty good handling and a very smooth ride. aluminum bodies trucks were one of the smartest things ford ever did. no more rotted out wheel wells, rockers, doors, etc, and a 500 pound weight drop.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the opposite. My 2018 Gen 2 had issues, so I sold it and bought a 2014 Gen 1. Love it. I was also tired of seeing so many Gen 2s driving around. Seems like everyone and their mom has one. Good luck man.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rust is my biggest concern. I love my gen1, but if you drive it in the winter here eventually it will rust away. I've seen brand x truck frames rust to the point they fold like a taco. And not using your four wheel drive in the winter to prevent rusting seems like a waste. So....trading more frequently seems logical to me at this point.

The frame folding like a taco was a Toyota thing, from what I recall from @FordTechOne posts.

I drove my 2010 Gen 1 for eight years before finally trading it in on an 802A and I have not regretted it one bit. You will get used to the exhaust and there are a couple of minor things you can do to make it sound better then stock without being too obnoxious. The rest of the truck is far better and you will not have to worry about the body rusting out. :cool:

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the opposite. My 2018 Gen 2 had issues, so I sold it and bought a 2014 Gen 1. Love it. I was also tired of seeing so many Gen 2s driving around. Seems like everyone and their mom has one. Good luck man.

You must live in California :Big Laugh:. I have a Gen1 and I don't see many here, however, I could see the need to change it out if its rusting.

OP, why not look for another Gen1 from a dry state?