Trade Gen1 and my GT350R for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RS4

Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I've got 125k on my gen1 I have had since it was new. I have the itch for a new truck and really like the gen2. My gen1 is paid for but I still owe about $40k on my gt350r. Here is the dilemma...I don't want two car payments because I just don't like the thought of it. So I was considering getting rid of the gen 1 and the r and I would have just a small payment on the new truck. I love everything about the R but I never really drive it that much. I feel like I would get more use out of the new raptor but it's hard giving up the r since they are somewhat rare. Thoughts?

Look man, I have a Gen1 Roush and I sold my GT350. Not an "R". The "R" is badass and holds crazy value. I would never ever get rid of the mustang. Right now is the absolute worst time to trade in. There is an oversupply of used cars and you will get hosed. Put some drivable tires on the "R" and drive it more. Throw a S/C on the Gen 1 and keep it. I am biased. If I had a choice to keep gt350r or an non S/C gen 1, then the mustang all the way. I miss the Gt350. I've had most high end euro exotics and I'd take the GT350 over all of them.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd keep your current setup and wait to see what Ford does with the Gen 3 Raptor.

Why not build out the Gen 1? Supercharge it, new suspension and it'l' feel like a new truck. I had a S/C Gen 1 and now a stock Gen 1. The S/C made a big difference. I miss it most days.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONT DO IT,unless your really hard up for $$....I cant tell you how many times I "almost" sold my 1963 Corvette...but after owning for 45 years,it sure looks good next to my Gen1 Shelby....:33:L1220172.JPG

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I would love to be in your shoes. I'm kinda the opposite side of the spectrum, I own a gen 2 and an ecoboost mustang. Gotta say I feel proud in my decision as the ecoboost mustang helps me keep miles low on the gen 2 while having better fuel economy for driving to work. I've always dreamed of owning a 350 but the price and other obligations makes it hard for me to pull the trigger...

Anyways if I were you I would hold off and see what the gen 3s will bring and if theres nothing special then go for a marked down gen 2

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
So while not exactly the same thing, I did a two for one to get into my Raptor about 90 days ago. I had a 2012 Ram Power Wagon and a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. The Hellcat was fun in a straight line, and not bad in the corners for what it was. The Power Wagon was a nice truck, but I was tired of the HD ride quality after being in a HD truck for 16 years. I had fallen in love with the Raptor, and was able to do a two for one trade so that I walked away with no payment (it was the only way I’d consider it). I’ve missed the Hellcat a couple times, but the ride quality and the sportiness of the Raptor makes that fade away real quick. While it was the right choice for me, unless you’re 100% sold on the idea, I’d say keep what you have.

lundqura

Reaction score
Its a tough call for sure. The gen 1 was great, the gen 2 is a lot of fun. I got my 20 a few months back. I also went from a base 350 to an R last year too. I will tell you that unless something catastrophic happens to my R I will not be getting rid if it. If I were in your shoes, id keep the gen 1 and hold onto the R. It is a special car that you don't see that often. By the time you pay it off you will be in line with the gen3s which I am sure will be as good if not better than the 2's. Good luck with your decision!

patire19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the R will hold its value and at some point be considered a collectors and increase in value. Definitely dont get rid of it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of comments on here. The GT350R is an amazing car and extremely exclusive. With the GT350 line most likely being discontinued, the value on yours should remain high and may even appreciate over time. I often think about how I don't drive my '04 Cobra much, but when I do it's always rewarding and it's still holding it's value.

I say stack some more miles on your Gen 1 Raptor and enjoy your R for now and see what the Gen 3 has to offer!