Traction Control Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ychaudhary

Reaction score
Hey Guys not new to the Raptor world but I just picked up my new 2017 Raptor and wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with Traction Control?

There's been a ton of rain in Houston, Texas (where I'm located) and yesterday as I was going down the highway at about 70 MPH, my raptor started swerving on the highway out of nowhere. It lost traction and was sliding all over the place but luckily I caught it. Traction control was on and I'm noticing the truck is very slide happy and wanted to know if anyone else had this issue? Just wanted to hear anyone's thoughts on this because it's happening so much they only thing I can imagine is there is something that I'm doing that is wrong. Thanks for any feedback!

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traction control and 4x4 aren't weather proof. Driving some 70 mph and hitting a patch of water over the roadway can cause hydroplaning like Hamster said. Traction control will try to limit that but not at excessive speeds. I was going about 20 down my road without slowing down enough to make a turn and started to slide in the wrong direction even with 4H on. Realizing how icey it was, I slowed it down to about 10 and you could feel the 4x4 re-engage and gain better grip. I see newer 4x4 vehicles in the ditch all the time up here in Alaska. Computers cant anticipate everything especially pools of water over the road way and your occasional ice patches. When I have been careful, I haven't noticed any random shifts to my traction control.

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speed and the water probably caused the Hydroplaning. My guess would be the tires probably are still new so they have to get a little wear in them. Usually new tires have that film on them you can lose traction there to.

OP
OP
Y

ychaudhary

Reaction score
The speed and the water probably caused the Hydroplaning. My guess would be the tires probably are still new so they have to get a little wear in them. Usually new tires have that film on them you can lose traction there to.

I'm hoping you're right with this because I didn't know that was a thing for there to be a film on new tires? I got about 2500 miles on it so far.

OP
OP
Y

ychaudhary

Reaction score
The plan is to get some good tires/rims once I find them but until then it looks like I will just have to temper my foot so that I don't hydroplane!