Traction Boards and elastic strap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on ordering a Freedom Rope, but I can't find the 110k rope? Is this one rated for the weight of our Raptors? I want to make sure I get the right rope, but it's not in the budget to be spending big money on this since I also just got my MaxTraxx.

In addition, here is a good lesson learned for all the off-road people on this forum. This is a link to another forum, but one of the few places that shows the actual pictures instead of just the news article.

you dont need the 110k rope. the 50 or 55k (no sure which it is) is more than plenty. the 110k rope doesnt stretch as much since its rated for so much weight. worked well with the schoolbus and semi truck, but for trucks like ours and even superduty/heavy duty work trucks, the 110 is overkill. more stretch is what you want, so don go for the biggest rope.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
MaxTrax, Treds and Action Trax. I think there is one other I can't think of off hand.
For me, traction boards aren't a do-all option, but they are a tool in the recovery toolbox.

I'm in the PNW, so I'm not in sand and rarely in mud. I am often trying to make it across rocky/gravelly washouts and they serve more of a 'bridging' role than traction.
I wouldn't bother with the cheap ones - I've seen very variable results on them ranging from they broke the first time I used them to, they last 3 or more times before coming apart.

I think if I recall that action trax ripped off maxtrax design, so I bought maxtrax on principle. Not sure if it was true.

For all trips, I carry a kinetic strap, tow strap, many soft shackles, a couple of D shackles, a few tree savers/bridle straps and a drain spade. It's light and compact to bring that stuff along. Oh, and a bottle jack and some good wood for cribbing/blocking. (The traction boards work as a base too for the jackall / bottle jack)

Then depending on the trip and time of year, along come the jack all, traction boards, and sometimes an industrial 4T come along. I go to some pretty remote places on my own and if I can't self rescue I'm pretty hooped. I also made up a 100' length of synthetic winch rope with an eye on each end. Works with the jack all or come along in spots where it's difficult to get to a good anchor. It could be used for a pull, but it would need to be slow and steady, not a dynamic one.

probably TMI

I am also in the PNW and am always looking for someone to head out with. Just saying...

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I keep traction boards, a jack, jack bottom and all types of fun pulling ropes and gadgets under the seat.

I have had the luck to help 4 people out on the beach so far. Great times, and free beer LOL.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I keep traction boards, a jack, jack bottom and all types of fun pulling ropes and gadgets under the seat.

I have had the luck to help 4 people out on the beach so far. Great times, and free beer LOL.
When I was on the beach in South Padre Island a few years ago, we couldn’t drive 500yds w/o someone flagging us down lol
Yo Broooo, you might want to keep your 2wd Chevy in the Hard Packed sand ;)

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I was on the beach in South Padre Island a few years ago, we couldn’t drive 500yds w/o someone flagging us down lol
Yo Broooo, you might want to keep your 2wd Chevy in the Hard Packed sand ;)
Yeah man - funny, the last person was a Chevy and didn't speak much English but I was looking in the truck for the AWD, none.....at all.

Bro - thefuq you doing out here?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Bro - thefuq you doing out here?
I am nominating this as the official FRF response and meme caption for all things stuck.

I wish I’d saved my SPI videos. You pay your $$$, you can take whatever vehicle you have on the beach.

Moped? check.
beater pickup with fenders falling off? You’ll fit right in.
dirt bike? good to go.
Harley cruiser: Yup, you’re all good.
Camel? sure thing.
RV: why thefuq not?

You get the idea. In OBX, the NPS off road areas are permit only, and worth it. OTOH, the South Padre experience is kind of worth it, in the “hold my beer, watch this” context.

The sound of revving motors and slinging sand is common. On the way in we saw 2 being towed out, one of which was a minivan. On the way out was priceless. Dude was towing a 35 foot RV in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, made it maybe 30 feet into the sand and sunk right in.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so while we are on topic here, amazon delivered and i open up the package to find thisIMG_20221128_124439.jpgok, well my eyesight isnt the greatest anymore, and im wondering, what are these 10inch long black things with a knob on the end? what the hell did tirina order??? oh wait they are the soft shackles i ordered. duh......

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so while we are on topic here, amazon delivered and i open up the package to find thisView attachment 382077ok, well my eyesight isnt the greatest anymore, and im wondering, what are these 10inch long black things with a knob on the end? what the hell did tirina order??? oh wait they are the soft shackles i ordered. duh......
Reminds me of the thread on one of the firearm forums I am on... guys wife got all excited seeing the "Frog Lube" packaging... until she realized it was gun cleaning supplies. ;)