Toyota TRD scathing review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the Lexus RCF & LC500 - great GT cars, beautiful high end interiors, unique exterior design, a buttery smooth N/A 5.0 V8 - & the best part is it’s a Yamaha V8 basically lol

I wouldn’t buy either of these cars but I also wouldn’t mind having one as a 3rd option

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Keith88 Love your handle, "It's still a Fiat" but now Stellantis, sounds like an alien planet from a video game ! I guess the fact they could even make the TRX as a fiat was pretty cool see where they go now
haha. My wife drives a "jeep" ive owned many jeeps. Anything I can do to poke fun at TRX owners...

Last edited:

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a Toyota fan. Parents have been driving Toyotas forever. My mom has an ‘07 Camry still and my dad has been consistently putting 200k+ miles on his trucks. He beats the **** out of them.

I left the Tacoma after 15 years for a ‘23 Raptor last week. I’ve had 3 Tacomas and was satisfied with them all. Traded the ‘07 long bed Sport for a ‘10 short bed Off-Road. Sold the Off-Road in ‘15 because I PCS’d overseas for a few years. Bought an ‘18 Pro and I loved it but the wife didn’t. With the Raptor, she loves not having her knees in the dashboard anymore. That’s just a full size truck improvement. Her ‘18 Highlander is a great car and we changed the tires after 75k miles.

Loving the Raptor so far and if I ever decide to leave it (kids grown and moved out), I’ll probably be back in a Toyota. I happen to mostly like the look of the new Tundra and it will be interesting to see if they get back on track with a refresh even though most of the gripes against it don’t really trigger me. As I understand, the Tundras Hybrid drive train is smooth as butter but the Raptor is such a step up from the Tacoma, I have no idea if it’s better/worse. All things considering, I like the look of the Raptor better (much better) and I’m glad to have finally been able to afford one.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I’m a Toyota fan. Parents have been driving Toyotas forever. My mom has an ‘07 Camry still and my dad has been consistently putting 200k+ miles on his trucks. He beats the **** out of them.

I left the Tacoma after 15 years for a ‘23 Raptor last week. I’ve had 3 Tacomas and was satisfied with them all. Traded the ‘07 long bed Sport for a ‘10 short bed Off-Road. Sold the Off-Road in ‘15 because I PCS’d overseas for a few years. Bought an ‘18 Pro and I loved it but the wife didn’t. With the Raptor, she loves not having her knees in the dashboard anymore. That’s just a full size truck improvement. Her ‘18 Highlander is a great car and we changed the tires after 75k miles.

Loving the Raptor so far and if I ever decide to leave it (kids grown and moved out), I’ll probably be back in a Toyota. I happen to mostly like the look of the new Tundra and it will be interesting to see if they get back on track with a refresh even though most of the gripes against it don’t really trigger me. As I understand, the Tundras Hybrid drive train is smooth as butter but the Raptor is such a step up from the Tacoma, I have no idea if it’s better/worse. All things considering, I like the look of the Raptor better (much better) and I’m glad to have finally been able to afford one.
It ain’t your daddies Toyota anymore which used to make great vehicles. They are going downhill quickly across the lineup. This is of course just one A-holes opinion.

MrB78

Reaction score

I hear ya on the Tacoma. I had an 18’ Pro too and it was a solid truck. Wife hated it and never drove it. Now she’s driving my Raptor any chance she gets lol. But with a few growing kids the Tacoma gets small, quick. Raptor is such an upgrade that you can’t compare the two.

The thing with the new hybrid tundra is that while it is smooth, the batteries take up the entire rear seat storage. Add the fact the rear doesn’t have a flat bottom there isn’t as much room in the back for passengers with zero storage. Big downgrade from the older Tundra.

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the Tacoma. I had an 18’ Pro too and it was a solid truck. Wife hated it and never drove it. Now she’s driving my Raptor any chance she gets lol. But with a few growing kids the Tacoma gets small, quick. Raptor is such an upgrade that you can’t compare the two.

The thing with the new hybrid tundra is that while it is smooth, the batteries take up the entire rear seat storage. Add the fact the rear doesn’t have a flat bottom there isn’t as much room in the back for passengers with zero storage. Big downgrade from the older Tundra.
I had a reservation for the Tundra for a time and the storage wasn't an issue for me. Now that I have the F150, I'm glad I have the space. I don't see this gen of Tundra lasting nearly as long as the last.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(From the MT article):
  • "Tough, trophy-truck looks" What in the **** are they talking about? The last Toyota Trophy Truck was around 2003 or so. And it looked nothing like that pigboat of today. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks; a 2001 trd tacoma prerunner that bought new, and sold in 2020, an '05 tundra crewcab 4wd I had for 5 years, and an older 4 banger pickup. They were reliable, relatively comfortable, and got the job done. The newest design looks like it was a prop from the first BLADERUNNER movie. At this point, I'd expect a Texan working in the Tundra plant to do the honorable thing and set fire to the place.
R (3).jpeg

Last edited:

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 tundra I use as my ranch truck. I’ve had it for a few years and it’s been fine. They are tough but man it’s a bare bones unit, granted it’s 10 years old now but it’s horrible. I could not drive one every day. Fuel mileage is terrible and I’m about out of material to weld my front bumper to.