Toyo RT or KM 3’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally getting rid of the wheels that came on the truck. Yes were 22” with RTs however getting some bronze turbomac HDs 17’s and I really liked the low the road noise and wear and with RTs and ride was not bad. Looking for anyone who has ran both tires To get feedback. Being told ko3s are better in all 3 aspects. What would I lose going to BFG’s?

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the KO3's, but I like the RT's better than the stock KO2's. I get more life out of them and they are better for the mix of driving on and off road as well as the crappy roads up here in Alaska. The KO2's wear too fast for my liking. The only advantage of the KO2's is they are better on ice than the RT's. Probably not a big concern for you in Arkansas. I'm real interested in the new Toyo AT3's, but my tire shop here said it will be a few months before they are available.

OP
OP
Blown00gt

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I had the same thoughts. Wet/ice RTs move around a bit however I’m at almost 30k in miles and tires don’t seem to be half life yet. Appreciate the feedback. How was the road noise between the 2?

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KO2 or KM3
I had run both on my 18 Jeep JLUR.
Factory tires were 33" ko2`s then I went up to 35" KO2`s

I finally stopped at 35" KM3`S. I liked the look of a more aggressive tire after wasting money on the 35" KO2`s that looked basically like a 33" KO2

I was at the yearly Jeep invasion in Wildwood NJ and ther were over 1200 Jeeps there running any tire you could imagine. They have a street run where they can do a main street drive at roughly 25mph. It was a perfect way to see what you liked or disliked, listen to tires at that speed and if you liked the tire you found the Jeep and talked to the owner`s to get the real scoop on how they performed. Super Swampers to Military tread.

Here`s what I found while running them on a lighter Jeep. They were loud, not killer loud. They broke lose real easy on the dry street, I had a Rubicon V6 gas, 8 sp. auto and 4:11 gears.
I had to remember to slow down a little earlier on wet roads.They eat snow and mud and throw them up with ease. They bit hard on rocks when crawling and I know I`m forgetting other things about them. I can`t remember if they were the lightest 35" mud tire out there. There are plenty of websites to compare every aspect of tires including side by side comparisons

To play around with size and offset and how they would actually fit and stick out or even hit. willtheyfit.com and tiresize.com

They were a little hard to balance and had to be rotated on the rims several times to get the least amount of weight on them.OK 4WD in NJ did the mounting and they are a serious off road shop that has been around for 30 years.

I had played around with tire pressure just like any other tire. I did the chalk test to help get the right tire pressure for the street.

I can also say how using bags of Ceramic beads worked for me trying to balance tires. I will try to remember who the manufacture was, I do remember they are one of the oldest and largest ones.

I hate to say it but there is a TON of information on tires on the JLWranglerforums.com along with info on lights and all other parts that you would consider a universal fit

I hope that this helps you out a little

OP
OP
Blown00gt

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post. I was looking at some Jeep forums reading about tires. I just know I like just about everything with my Toyos so will prolly stick with them.

gatty1303

Reaction score
I am curious about this as well. New owner of a used 18 with 27k miles. Still on stock ko2’s and tread life looks great. Only problem is, they are a lot louder than I would like. I understand I won’t get a perfectly quiet tire, but I also don’t off road so I won’t need anything super aggressive. My buddy’s Ram Rebel has the Toyos at3’s and they seem to be aggressive enough and have a great ride quality. I may pick those up next to replace the ko2’s

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of time your tires will become louder if you don`t rotate them, a cupped tire is definitely louder then a rotated tire.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Goodyear’s Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar ...Has anyone tried these?
Wrangler MT/R

Yes, I had a set of 35's and they were terrible. I read shortly after I picked them up that anything over 33" for that tire were very difficult to balance correctly. I had bad vibrations the entire time I owned them and took them back multiple times to get them rebalanced. They seemed to be okay on snow and ice and I drove off road with them multiple times. They seemed to be a decent tire in those regards, but I was so annoyed by the constant vibrations that I didn't care. Our local shops don't warranty MT tires, so I was SOL for getting them replaced. That's one reason I switched from the Toyo MT's to the Toyo RT's is for the warranty.