Toyo AT3 35 12.50 Road noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck doesn't ride exactly the same on less rubber, sorry, doesn't work that way.

Edit: Then again it may be difficult to notice the difference at the Starbuck's drive-thru, almost forgot we are dealing with 20" wheels.

:rolleyes:

There should be a badge for "I hate 20's, therefore I have to post a smart-ass comment that is irrelevant to the question." on this forum.

I get it, you hate 20 each wheels.

OP
OP
T

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had AT3s on my Tundra, were louder than KO2s but balanced a lot better. Could not get KO2s to balance and replaced them. Could have just been a bad batch, K02s on my Raptor are fine

I have heard from other friends that KO2's suck to balance, hate to change and deal with that. Toyos balanced perfect....

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There should be a badge for "I hate 20's, therefore I have to post a smart-ass comment that is irrelevant to the question." on this forum.

you couldn’t see it my hater badge?

in all seriousness no hate on the 20’s, to each their own. But it is a fact removing the rubber for more wheel is removing the elastic ride damper. The 20’s will definitely ride firmer than 17” wheels assuming the same 35” size tire.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
I would guess the 20’s are adding significantly to the noise. My wife’s Audi S5 with 35 series performance street tires have far more road noise than anything I’ve had on the Raptor. Less sidewall will transmits more road noise along with the benefit of more road feel. It’s why you go with bigger rims on sport cars. The trade off of improved handling and transmission of road feel is transmission of road noise. If you want quite, stick with the 17’s.

OP
OP
T

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with another tire guru today and he said the 10 ply tire on a light truck is going to be louder than 6 ply. Said if I put the 10 ply on 3/4 ton noise would be less since the weight of the truck is more.

May end up going back to 17's, love the look of the 20's but prefer a quiet ride.
Thanks for all the replies..

Nathan Reed

Reaction score

Why does everyone insist on 17” wheels?

I get it, the truck comes with 17” wheels from the factory for all of the hardcore mall crawlers and daily drivers out there, but why does anyone else care what people do?

A lot of you probably didn’t live through the original “tiny wheel, ginormous rubber” decade and see 17s as a wonderful oddity, but a lot of us did and aren’t nostalgic for the look. I don’t care what others do with their truck, hell- grab some 15s or 16s if you want (if they’ll clear the calipers) and if you like it, I’ll congratulate you on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotaRaptorGuy

Reaction score
I just put the At3's on my canyon last month and they are considerably louder then the Mazama Open Ranges that came off in a very similar size. And do not hook up in the wet either. Found this post while looking to see others experience and float more reference material for those shopping.

I also agree with the facts that yes a 10ply going to be louder and rougher tire then a P or 6/8ply tire topped with less sidewall will also act as a multiplier for said affects. My particular experience was a result of the same 17x8.5 wheel. Toyo does have a 30 day guarantee but I do not know if that accounts for labor.

I worked in the tire industry for quite some time, specifically with the Toyo brand and they tended to be very good riding quiet tire overall but that was a couple years ago now. And I can attest for the KO's being sometimes difficult to throw a balance on them and a bit noisy, I'd usually have to road force and match to the wheel to tame them a bit. Not sure if it was a QC issue or just their intended point of use. I've had a problem with any brand at one time or another though honestly.

Last edited:

R Level

Reaction score
I had K02's on my F150 XLT and changed to Toyo Open Country A/T III's...much better. Local shop was not able to get the alignment right for the KO2's. After I ware out the KO2's on by 2019 Raptor I'll go to AT3's.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed this with 2 sets of Toyos AT3 I installed on customers truck. They do have very aggresive side lugs tho...