Towing with my 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocu2zzz

Rocu2zzz

Reaction score
Biggest issue I had with the Gen 2 towing this old Warlock with twin big blocks over past trucks (Gen1, H1 & Duallies) was I was using the same old drop hitch which with the rear sage on these Gen 2's was causing to much weight on the front trailer tires & tongue. I noticed a little sway in cross winds and at higher freeway speeds. Got a new higher hitch and was good to go. I've towed this boat with so many different trucks over the years I just assumed I'd be ok, rookie moment. Ask me how I know that these trucks have sway control! Power is not a problem. Pic was taken with old hitch, see the squat

View attachment 147876

View attachment 147877

How much does that boat weigh? Do you feel the Raptor struggling to tow?

OP
OP
Rocu2zzz

Rocu2zzz

Reaction score
I haven’t posted in a while but I just wanted to get back to everyone about my towing experience with my 2018 Raptor. I finally got my boat a week ago and I installed Deaver leaf springs and the SVC Hydraulic bump stop kit. The boat is a 26 foot SH that has a dry weight of 4900lbs, twin outboards (900lbs), on a trailer that weighs 1500lbs. Overall, the boat is around 8K lbs when she has fuel. The truck performs nicely on tow mode, I didn’t feel the truck struggle at all and ride was smooth with 4 adults inside truck. One of the photos shows the truck height before weight of trailer and the other 2 show it ready to tow. Even though it sux, I’m averaging 10.4 mpg towing that heavy boat

50F8518A-8C37-41FC-832F-5EB3DE8F4355.jpeg

7E38B868-B020-437E-8E37-193FA7E36D3E.jpeg

2DEB96CA-46E2-448D-B790-AFD58C667699.jpeg

0B0BCB32-D86F-456F-9EAD-D07B1E4CEAE2.jpeg

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome setup man.... and love, love that SH in baby blue! <so jealous> Be safe out there and have fun!

How are the waters in the JAX area? Busy out there?

OP
OP
Rocu2zzz

Rocu2zzz

Reaction score
Awesome setup man.... and love, love that SH in baby blue! <so jealous> Be safe out there and have fun!

How are the waters in the JAX area? Busy out there?
Great! I like leaving out of St. Augustine which is about 25 mins south of me. Lots of sandbars and good fishing.
Mayport is also 25 mins north of me where many people like launching from. I have the St. Johns river a few blocks from my house and its fun for cruising but I like the intercoastal and open ocean better.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I've never come out of St. Augustine before... I need to get down there. I frequently visit our office down in Jacksonville and I get out on the water with my co-worker as often as possible. He launches from either Lakeshore or Black Creek. I also have a co-worker who boats out of Ameila Island. Both reporting crazy busy down there on the water these days.

Stay safe out there and enjoy that awesome new boat!

OP
OP
Rocu2zzz

Rocu2zzz

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. Boat weighs around 8K+ and power is not a problem you can go as fast as you dare. I generally tow in 8th gear and use 9th & 10th on down hill and really flat straights with no wind.
Thanks! The truck felt fine pulling the heavy boat. I’m happy with the results so far. I was worried I’d be trading her in for an F250