Towing with a scab, 37's, Deavers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrT

Reaction score
We just drove from Memphis to the coast of Al (420 miles) The truck has Eibachs, Deaver +4 hd's and Camburg 1" drop shackles. We were towing a Uhaul car hauler (2,200lbs) carrying a 2008 Honda CRV ( 3600lbs) the Honda was fully packed, front seat area included at approx 400lbs and the truck was carrying another 3-400lbs of cargo.
Power was a non issue, it would accelerate from 65-75mph with ease to get past slow traffic. The truck handled decent. I do notice the KM3's seem a little wishy washy in the back with or without the trailer. I am still playing with air pressure. First mounted at 50psi and they were pretty squirrely. I have them at 34 rear and 36 front now.
There was more squat than expected but there's not much room to adjust a load on the uhaul trailer. I will buy a wd hitch and see how that does next time.
All in all I would give it a 7-8 out of 10. I would like to be able to tow closer to 8k lbs so I am curious about the wd hitch.
We got 10.5 mpg over the 400 miles. Picture taken at fill up.

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_105705376_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211005_105705376_HDR.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20211005_132647386.jpg
    IMG_20211005_132647386.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 111

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, you have 80% of the weight forward of the trailer tires, should of backed the car onto the trailer. I've towed lots with my gen 1 scab with a wd hitch and deaver 3's, it has no problem, but the more weight I put on the hitch the more I increase my tire pressure as well, otherwise to gets too squirrely because the tires have to much flex, it's trial and error, the more you tow and you will find that sweet spot, my rears were around 55 when weight was maxed out.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does look a tid bit weight forward. I towed a 318i and it was just about right on one of those uhauls, it wandered a bit and got me a ticket for failure to maintain lane.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does look a tid bit weight forward. I towed a 318i and it was just about right on one of those uhauls, it wandered a bit and got me a ticket for failure to maintain lane.
Damn what a ***** cop

Side note- oh yeah that looks just fine (If there was an eye roll emoji insert here) - my biggest gripe w/ the Raptors…def a WD hitch needed if doing this regularly, the overall
Payload on mine gets “exceeded” doing errands w/ the whole family on the reg

In which case….maybe the gen2 is a better buy than a Gen3 if you DO intend to tow/haul w/ it much easier to strengthen rear leafs than coil springs at the moment

OP
OP
MrT

MrT

Reaction score
I guess I should add that the towing was unexpected one way from out of town to my house. When I first loaded it, it sat fine, we were leaving early the next morning and that night the back seat of the truck, the bed and the front of the car were packed full. It still looked ok but settled as we drove. It drove fine or I would have made adjustments.
I have my own trailer at home and plan on a wd hitch but properly distributed weight would have done the trick.