Towing/hitch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Scott at Deaver, they are taking slightly used stock rear springs and adding/re spring leaf for half the cost of their +2 or +3 deavers for those that don’t want the performance benefits their springs provide.

If you tow a lot you would need to have deaver make you an HD set that can be made in +2HD or +3HD The ride will suffer minimally.

The Deaver +2 and +3 are not made for towing but they do help as they are a progressive superior spring to stock. This is why you need to call them and tell them your set up. Scott will get you what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Call Scott at Deaver, they are taking slightly used stock rear springs and adding/re spring leaf for half the cost of their +2 or +3 deavers for those that don’t want the performance benefits their springs provide.

If you tow a lot you would need to have deaver make you an HD set that can be made in +2HD or +3HD The ride will suffer minimally.

The Deaver +2 and +3 are not made for towing but they do help as they are a progressive superior spring to stock. This is why you need to call them and tell them your set up. Scott will get you what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not one of these two options, I would go with roadmaster active suspension. ( easy on and off). It helps a ton with sway and sag. Shouldn't be more than about $400.

If you're happy with the way the truck rides outside of towing, this could be the ticket.

It also uses an active spring assist mechanism to make towing more stable and carefree, instead of some goofy bump stop band-aid fix.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have done some more research. There are no Deaver or Roadmaster dealers anywhere near Atlanta. I went to my local 4wheelparts that did my lights, bed cover, etc. and they recommended airbags, but then after calling around determined that no one makes airbags for the Raptor. Supersprings also told them you can't use their product on a Raptor. Their conclusion was there is nothing they can do to the suspension to help with towing. They said I could try a weight distribution hitch, so I'm going to order one I guess. Which one do people recommend (preferably something easy to work with and compatible with typical travel trailer setups as I won't have the trailer ahead of time to check compatibility).

I've read some people recommend the Blue Ox, and others said Andersen. I've also seen Smittybilt.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I have done some more research. There are no Deaver or Roadmaster dealers anywhere near Atlanta. I went to my local 4wheelparts that did my lights, bed cover, etc. and they recommended airbags, but then after calling around determined that no one makes airbags for the Raptor. Supersprings also told them you can't use their product on a Raptor. Their conclusion was there is nothing they can do to the suspension to help with towing. They said I could try a weight distribution hitch, so I'm going to order one I guess. Which one do people recommend (preferably something easy to work with and compatible with typical travel trailer setups as I won't have the trailer ahead of time to check compatibility).

I've read some people recommend the Blue Ox, and others said Andersen. I've also seen Smittybilt.

I've read your posts above. Whatever ELSE you do, definitely get a WD hitch. You need it with the amount of weight you're talking. I forget what brand I have, but it's one of the standard names. I bought mine with my trailer and had the dealer set it up.

I'm a Gen1, but for what it's worth, I went to Deaver +3s and a bump stop kit with adjustable bump stops that can be lowered to act as helper springs. After trying that out a few times I determined it wasn't needed since I was actually hitting them rather than riding on them. I might try it again once I throw a RZR in there. I'm towing a 5,500 (dry weight) toy hauler. So fully loaded I'm pushing near to the 8,000 limit. Tows great, even up Colorado mountain passes. I also upgraded some tranny cooling components - but we have very different trannies.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read your posts above. Whatever ELSE you do, definitely get a WD hitch. You need it with the amount of weight you're talking. I forget what brand I have, but it's one of the standard names. I bought mine with my trailer and had the dealer set it up.

I'm a Gen1, but for what it's worth, I went to Deaver +3s and a bump stop kit with adjustable bump stops that can be lowered to act as helper springs. After trying that out a few times I determined it wasn't needed since I was actually hitting them rather than riding on them. I might try it again once I throw a RZR in there. I'm towing a 5,500 (dry weight) toy hauler. So fully loaded I'm pushing near to the 8,000 limit. Tows great, even up Colorado mountain passes. I also upgraded some tranny cooling components - but we have very different trannies.

Thanks, I just ordered a WD hitch. We will see how that does.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not listening OP. An add-a-leaf is a custom solution that none of the off the shelf guys sell. Call a reputable suspension shop in your area and they will quote you for an add a leaf. It's simple, effective and been done for years on trucks.

WD hitches are good but a total pain in the ass to live with. Add a huge amount of overhead everytime you hitch and unhitch.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I have done some more research. There are no Deaver or Roadmaster dealers anywhere near Atlanta. I went to my local 4wheelparts that did my lights, bed cover, etc. and they recommended airbags, but then after calling around determined that no one makes airbags for the Raptor. Supersprings also told them you can't use their product on a Raptor. Their conclusion was there is nothing they can do to the suspension to help with towing.

I have had a Superspring on and off my Gen 1 Raptor for 8 years. I took them off my F150 Lariat FX4 before I sold it. They worked perfectly for towing my boat and utility trailers over the years.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/SSA28/

They do not make one specifically for the Raptor, but their F150 springs work just fine. Take them off when you do heavy off-roading and put them back on when you tow. I left mine on for months at a time and they are still on my Gen 1 today.

You do not need a local dealer, just buy them online and have them shipped to your house. It takes about an hour to install them, but it is something you can easily do in your garage.

The pictures below are when I was towing my 4000+lb Yahama Jet Boat out of the lake and up the driveway of my lake house in Texas using the Supersprings.

For my Gen 2, I will be using Deaver +3s and the Roadmaster Active Suspension which has a Raptor specific application. They are easier to put on and take off.

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/2010-2016-ford-raptor/

No local dealers needed for these, either. There are several YouTube videos which walk you through how easy they are to install with simple hand tools.

PS. I would NEVER listen to someone telling you to put airbags on a Raptor, like 4WheelParts... :crazy:

Attachments

• Raptor 2010 Boat.jpg
    Raptor 2010 Boat.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Raptor 2010 Boat2.jpg
    Raptor 2010 Boat2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are not listening OP. An add-a-leaf is a custom solution that none of the off the shelf guys sell. Call a reputable suspension shop in your area and they will quote you for an add a leaf. It's simple, effective and been done for years on trucks.

WD hitches are good but a total pain in the ass to live with. Add a huge amount of overhead everytime you hitch and unhitch.

I'm the OP, my question was answered long ago. The thread has evolved beyond my initial question.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a Superspring on and off my Gen 1 Raptor for 8 years. I took them off my F150 Lariat FX4 before I sold it. They worked perfectly for towing my boat and utility trailers over the years.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/SSA28/

They do not make one specifically for the Raptor, but their F150 springs work just fine. Take them off when you do heavy off-roading and put them back on when you tow. I left mine on for months at a time and they are still on my Gen 1 today.

You do not need a local dealer, just buy them online and have them shipped to your house. It takes about an hour to install them, but it is something you can easily do in your garage.

The pictures below are when I was towing my 4000+lb Yahama Jet Boat out of the lake and up the driveway of my lake house in Texas using the Supersprings.

For my Gen 2, I will be using Deaver +3s and the Roadmaster Active Suspension which has a Raptor specific application. They are easier to put on and take off.

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/2010-2016-ford-raptor/

No local dealers needed for these, either. There are several YouTube videos which walk you through how easy they are to install with simple hand tools.

PS. I would NEVER listen to someone telling you to put airbags on a Raptor, like 4WheelParts... :crazy:

I watched some of the videos on the Roadmaster, and went ahead and ordered it and will install myself. Didn't seem too complicated.