Towing/hitch questions

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by jabroni619, Jun 11, 2018.

1. jabroni619

jabroni619 Full Access Member

Never towed before and looking to buy a 4 seater side by side sometime in the near future. Is it recommended to get a WD or sway control with the loads I'll be pulling? For reference, a Polaris RZR XP 4 is about 1600lbs dry.

2. brettmess24

brettmess24 Full Access Member

No you don’t need a WD hitch. Load it on your trailer properly and your golden.

Pick up an adjustable aluminum hitch on amazon and your set. 6” drop should give you all the adjustment you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. Dane

Dane FRF Addict

That's too light (trailer included) to worry about a WD hitch. You'll have no problems at all. I frequently tow a TJ Wrangler on a flatbed trailer with no WD. I only use my WD for my camper which is 6-7,000 pounds. The TJ tows great.

I'm a Gen 1, but still, close enough. You'll be golden. All you need is a basic trailer big enough for the RZR. Trailer brakes would be a plus, but you'll be ok without them at that weight.

4. jabroni619

jabroni619 Full Access Member

Thanks guys. I do intend on getting a trailer with brakes. Chances are anytime I'm trailering the RZR (or whatever I decide to get) I'll also have a truck full of people and some cargo in the bed.

5. KDCane

KDCane Member

Dude. You don’t need brakes on a trailer that light. Legally depends on the state but most have a 3500lb trailer weight for brakes. It’s just added cost and complication.

jabroni619 likes this.
  6. Jspeers89

Jspeers89 Full Access Member

I tow an xp4 on a14 foot trailer using a 6 inch adjustable Curt channel hitch. So light a wd is not needed. Tows like nothing is back there. Much difference experience than when I was towing the same load with my Jeep Rubicon.

7. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Full Access Member

I have about 10k miles towing a 7x14 (~5500 lb loaded) dual axle with my 17 gen 2 including a cross country trip towing 3 superbikes and luggage, generator, tools etc.

Add-a-leaf in the back and it tows like trailer isn't even there. LOVE the pro trailer backup assist. A great tow car contrary to what the peanut gallery says.

[​IMG]

Stern_94 likes this.
  8. TXRaptor

TXRaptor Full Access Member

I have been to that track south of Houston! :cheers:

xxaarraa likes this.
  9. Birel22

Birel22 Full Access Member

Tremendous picture.... Raptor will have no problem towing your toys. They just dont like tongue heavy trailers/loads.

10. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Full Access Member

Just did 1000 miles moving someone with trailer loaded to the brim. Raptor did the job like the trailer wasn't even there. Don't let the peanut gallery fool you, with a little bit of work (add a leaf or bump stop kit for the rear) the raptor makes an excellent tow vehicle. I have over 10k miles towing out of 30k miles total on the truck.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TXRaptor and prowakeskater like this.