Towing ability…definitely impressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loading it backwards with most of the weight rear of the trailer axles is a 1 way ticket into the bar ditch, or worse.

Those uhaul trailers are designed to have the tires up against the front rail, otherwise the straps won't work. It's fine.

THIS! I had that thought of backing in, but didn't want all the weight in the rear of the trailer knowing that would make for a dangerous trip. Absolutely no load adjustment with these trailers either. That said, it pulled super smooth. Really no complaints other than some wiring issues with the trailer.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Loading it backwards with most of the weight rear of the trailer axles is a 1 inv be way ticket into the bar ditch, or worse.

Those uhaul trailers are designed to have the tires up against the front rail, otherwise the straps won't work. It's fine.
Kidding me? I do it all the time w/ waaayyyyy more weight - not in raptor - heavy equipment/junk car hauling, but premise same, avoiding putting so much weight on that tongue

I’m not familiar w/ those uhaul trailers tho

Either way- they need to make some aftermarket coil springs before I’d get a gen3 personally, I like to use the raptor as a raptor but I like to use it as a truck 3x as much lol

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What was your tongue weight? That truck looks to be on too short of a trailer and should have been moved further back.

Tongue weight is your friend.

Never ever load a vehicle backwards. I watched an F350 towing an F350 on a trailer backwards do donuts down I 80 the trailer got so out of control.

F350 weight + trailer aboutb10,000 lbs, F350 rated to tow 20k. It wasn't a weight problem it was a weight distribution problem

People are retarded, if you are worried about squat and working your truck to hard get a bigger truck.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Kidding me? I do it all the time w/ waaayyyyy more weight - not in raptor - heavy equipment/junk car hauling, but premise same, avoiding putting so much weight on that tongue

I’m not familiar w/ those uhaul trailers tho

Either way- they need to make some aftermarket coil springs before I’d get a gen3 personally, I like to use the raptor as a raptor but I like to use it as a truck 3x as much lol
I am not kidding you. When I was in construction I lived with trailers hooked up. I have also owned several dually trucks and dually gooseneck trailers and hauled tractors and farm equipment all over the South and East.

There is such a thing as too much tongue weight, but that example isn't it. The raptor has soft springs, it's gonna sag if you look at it funny. The U-haul trailer is not the best design for someone that knows what they are doing, but it gets the job done and loaded the way they intend. It will never have too little tongue weight, so it's ultimately safer than letting some Joe Blow snowflake try and balance the load himself and take out a bus full of choir kids.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not kidding you. When I was in construction I lived with trailers hooked up. I have also owned several dually trucks and dually gooseneck trailers and hauled tractors and farm equipment all over the South and East.

There is such a thing as too much tongue weight, but that example isn't it. The raptor has soft springs, it's gonna sag if you look at it funny. The U-haul trailer is not the best design for someone that knows what they are doing, but it gets the job done and loaded the way they intend. It will never have too little tongue weight, so it's ultimately safer than letting some Joe Blow snowflake try and balance the load himself and take out a bus full of choir kids.
I am going to politely disagree. The issue with to much tongue weight is far less serious than with to little. Been there done that.

Terrain plays a roll. Around here we have steep grades and trying to hold a load back will make to little tongue weight even worse

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I am going to politely disagree. The issue with to much tongue weight is far less serious than with to little. Been there done that.

Terrain plays a roll. Around here we have steep grades and trying to hold a load back will make to little tongue weight even worse
We are saying the same thing, essentially. I am saying the photo w/ the uhaul trailer is not too much tongue weight.

Too much tongue weight would have the rear riding on the bump stops which also makes it a challenge to control the vehicle. :)

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We are saying the same thing, essentially. I am saying the photo w/ the uhaul trailer is not too much tongue weight.

Too much tongue weight would have the rear riding on the bump stops which also makes it a challenge to control the vehicle. :)
Ok sorry. Someone is advocating putting the truck on backwards. My mistake. Probably shouldn't check FRF while working.

Last edited:

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is towing a descent size camper capable ? Anyone have good experience?
Have you looked through the below thread?