GEN 2 Towing 6-7000 LBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is pulling 6-7k pounds with their rig. Looking into pulling a friends camper up north that has the weight distribution bars for the hitch. I am stock suspension but am curious to what your trucks look like pulling heavy loads with or without the weight distribution bars. Id like to make trips up north to the UP and just live out of the camper if I feel comfortable with how the truck handles it with the stick suspension even though it is rated for what 8,500 lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is pulling 6-7k pounds with their rig. Looking into pulling a friends camper up north that has the weight distribution bars for the hitch. I am stock suspension but am curious to what your trucks look like pulling heavy loads with or without the weight distribution bars. Id like to make trips up north to the UP and just live out of the camper if I feel comfortable with how the truck handles it with the stick suspension even though it is rated for what 8,500 lbs?

For around $250 you can add Timbren springs and it will prevent sag while you are towing. The are very easy to install, but give them a call to make sure you get all of the parts that you need. I can't remember what it was, but I had to order something extra (I believe it was an inch spacer and longer bolts) and it did not come in pairs, so I had to order two of them. Since I rarely off-road the Raptor (I have several other toys that use for off-roading), I keep them on all of the time without any issues and no sag when towing.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_0080.JPG

I have towed this boat (which weighs about what you are talking about) with my Gen 1 & my Gen 2 and can tell you that I found out I need a higher hitch due to the additional squat on the G2. Had no handling issues with the G1 but I have found out that because I was loading my trailer front tires to much (need less of a drop hitch) the rig above 70 or so she was susepsable to sway in a cross wind or un even pavement. Found out that these G2's have sway control! Works well. Buying a new hitch! Power was no issue and Manuel shifted the tranny, plus kep it out of 9th & 10th. So if you get that trailer level & proper tongue weight you should be fine. Hope this helps. Oh and both trucks were/are stock suspension & tow haul mode is a little aggressive at downshifting while coasting downhill to the point that I prefer to disengage it and do it manually.

Last edited:

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is more than capable drivetrain-wise to tow that. The suspension is the weak point for towing. WDH will help a lot. I have airbags on my Raptor for towing.

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
I tow my boat (23' Wakesetter) which is about that weight with no problems on the stock suspension. What I have found towing is that it's not the weight of the trailer as much as it's the tongue weight. Not an issue with the boat since it's heaviest parts (engine) is positioned over the trailer axels, putting the tongue weight around 600lbs. A WD hitch will help, but you may need some suspension help (bags, springs) if the tongue weight is more than 10% of the total trailer weight.

OP
OP
FordPerf Addict

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tow my boat (23' Wakesetter) which is about that weight with no problems on the stock suspension. What I have found towing is that it's not the weight of the trailer as much as it's the tongue weight. Not an issue with the boat since it's heaviest parts (engine) is positioned over the trailer axels, putting the tongue weight around 600lbs. A WD hitch will help, but you may need some suspension help (bags, springs) if the tongue weight is more than 10% of the total trailer weight.
Interesting point. I would be towing a 28 foot camper. Not sure how the weight is distributed. How would I found that out would it say on the camper hitch ?

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
Interesting point. I would be towing a 28 foot camper. Not sure how the weight is distributed. How would I found that out would it say on the camper hitch ?

2 options that I know of:
- they make a hitch that has a scale built-in - can't speak to the accuracy
- take the trailer to a CAT and weigh it there - Someone on the Malibu boat forum had the same setup as me and did that, so that is how I know the trailer tongue weight.

The very unscientific way is I can tell you I get ~3 inches of drop when I hook up the trailer. That is right at my personal comfort level for pulling with the truck. You can compare your level of drop to that as a reference.

image98

Reaction score
Once you get above towing 5,000 lbs, a proper weight distribution hitch will help considerably. I have a 24 ft enclosed car hauler and it was night and day towing with and without one. Also, when towing I found it also helps to bump up the tire pressure.

Solobaric

Reaction score
The Raptor is more than capable drivetrain-wise to tow that. The suspension is the weak point for towing. WDH will help a lot. I have airbags on my Raptor for towing.

What airbags do you have? And what do you set them up to when not towing? Just empty them?

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score