GEN 2 towed in today FFS!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they powered damn near every truck for decades...

Isn’t that why Ford, GM, and Chrysler trucks met their demise when oil prices went through the roof? The EB may still need to be perfected over time, but I’d rather see that happen than decades old technology in a new truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My tree guy has something like 300k miles on his eb f150. I need to check with him on the tally now. When he got it, I wasn’t familiar with the change ; it was ’14 or ’15? anyway, I scoffed. He drives through the barrio about once every 2 - 3 weeks or so.

He loves his, says he was let down by the mileage, but only because it wasn’t as good as he was expecting, but way better than his older F150.

I somewhat agree, after the initial roll out, the 4.6 wasn’t too shabby, but the ’90’s era when they started making their way into cars and trucks converting from the 302 weren’t as spectacular. My buddy retired from a local PD and took up driving ( shuttling folks to and from tv interviews ). His chosen vehicle was the Lincoln town car sedan something or other. it’s slightly bigger. He drove the pi$$ out of them, to the tune of 395k miles on the first one, rebuilt once. bought the 2nd used with I think over 50k miles and drove that one another 400k miles. He still has that sedan, he’s retired now. The car looks amazing, he keeps it covered, meticulously cares for it. both powered by 4.6. Those motors did not live an easy life, in addition to the hundreds of thousands of miles, he spent a cr@p ton of time idling, with the a/c blaring or heat on.

you’re only hearing about problems on FRF, not the people who are racking up miles. it’s easy to say 3.5 won’t measure up to the 4.6 in this context, but who knows what the coming years will reveal?

@Sasquatch77 - what do you think?
It’s ok, we know you’re here. for now.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I work in auto salvage - we sell to the tune of close to $1m a day so I always know what stuff is problematic based on demand. I can assure you that every brand has its issues. We are very low demand on eco-boost engines. Same for the newer 5.0L..... 5.4L's are a much, much different story and they always have been since they came out. We are getting pretty good feedback from dealers on them so far.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW - I work in auto salvage - we sell to the tune of close to $1m a day so I always know what stuff is problematic based on demand. I can assure you that every brand has its issues. We are very low demand on eco-boost engines. Same for the newer 5.0L..... 5.4L's are a much, much different story and they always have been since they came out. We are getting pretty good feedback from dealers on them so far.

Go to to hear since I have one in a SHO. So how about the 6.2L engines?

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not a mechanic, but something doesn’t sound right. All cars with direct injection has a high pressure fuel pump, usually in the fuel tank. The fuel goes to a fuel filter, then into fuel rail, and then to each of the injectors. The injectors spray fuel directly into the valve from needle-size holes. That’s my limited understanding on how direct injection work. There’s no way a bolt can make it from a fuel pump, through a fuel line, fuel filter, fuel rail, into an injector through needle-size holes and into a valve or valve cover.

It sounds like a tech more likely dropped a bolt into a valve and it got smashed into pieces.

I’m not a mechanic, but I would get a second opinion (or a better explanation from
the dealer). If there is negligence, insurance should get involved.

LOL dude, you need to re-calibrate your definition of "high pressure". This aint talkin about 60psi fuel tank pump compared to your old carbureted bronco 8psi. We are talking THOUSANDS of psi for the HPFP required to run direct injection.

And just FYI, the gen 2 raptors have dual fuel systems. They have DI along with "traditional" port injection.

latest?cb=20131224233033.jpg

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL dude, you need to re-calibrate your definition of "high pressure". This aint talkin about 60psi fuel tank pump compared to your old carbureted bronco 8psi. We are talking THOUSANDS of psi for the HPFP required to run direct injection.

And just FYI, the gen 2 raptors have dual fuel systems. They have DI along with "traditional" port injection.

latest?cb=20131224233033.jpg

I admit that I have limited knowledge. That’s why I ask.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Latest .... they feel the miles to empty went nuts due to the f pump pressure venting off and it actually only lost a bit of fuel. Will know soon. They had to send the truck or maybe a part off to a machine shop to have a broken bolt removed. They did have to order a new valve cover. I still can’t get that answer, service writer doesn’t know quite what I’m talking about when I ask him if the bolt was actually inside the valvetrain. His reply was the drive train should be fine .... I’ll keep asking. Might have it back today.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to to hear since I have one in a SHO. So how about the 6.2L engines?

The 6.2L's have been pretty well received too - we are low request on them as well. Since the superduty's run them I think they are worked a little harder so they do move a little quicker. The miles are always much higher when I get one in, they seem to always land in a fleet truck somewhere.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Latest .... they feel the miles to empty went nuts due to the f pump pressure venting off and it actually only lost a bit of fuel. Will know soon. They had to send the truck or maybe a part off to a machine shop to have a broken bolt removed. They did have to order a new valve cover. I still can’t get that answer, service writer doesn’t know quite what I’m talking about when I ask him if the bolt was actually inside the valvetrain. His reply was the drive train should be fine .... I’ll keep asking. Might have it back today.

Valve train, drive train- whatevs, same difference right?

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not a mechanic, but something doesn’t sound right. All cars with direct injection has a high pressure fuel pump, usually in the fuel tank. The fuel goes to a fuel filter, then into fuel rail, and then to each of the injectors. The injectors spray fuel directly into the valve from needle-size holes. That’s my limited understanding on how direct injection work. There’s no way a bolt can make it from a fuel pump, through a fuel line, fuel filter, fuel rail, into an injector through needle-size holes and into a valve or valve cover.

It sounds like a tech more likely dropped a bolt into a valve and it got smashed into pieces.

I’m not a mechanic, but I would get a second opinion (or a better explanation from
the dealer). If there is negligence, insurance should get involved.
Every HPFP I've seen is at the engine.