GEN 2 towed in today FFS!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that blows! I'm curious to hear what the final diagnosis is.. Did the tech mention what they had gone through already?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel like Ford's quality control on these 3.5s is shit. These things either go 250,000+ miles or explode before the first 50,000 miles.

To be fair- ain't nobody made it close to 250K miles yet in a Gen 2 EB engine. However plenty have exploded before 50,000 miles. Maybe after a couple sets of timing chains and cam phaser replacements, and turbo replacements, you might see 250K. It's just way too ******* complex to run to a quarter million miles IMO. I have a Gen 1 EB in a SHO, and I would not own that without an extended warranty.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair- ain't nobody made it close to 250K miles yet in a Gen 2 EB engine. However plenty have exploded before 50,000 miles. Maybe after a couple sets of timing chains and cam phaser replacements, and turbo replacements, you might see 250K. It's just way too ******* complex to run to a quarter million miles IMO. I have a Gen 1 EB in a SHO, and I would not own that without an extended warranty.

I was referring to 3.5s in general, not just the Raptor Gen 2s. I had a 2012 3.5 ecoboost that had zero issues the entire time it, but that was only 60k.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, well, everything I said pretty much still applies. You want a 250K mile EB? You are going to be deep into the engine at least once, probably twice or more.

Maxoz

Reaction score
had similar problem with my 11 mustang V8, turns out the air intake sucked in a plastic bag

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well F@#k. It’s because they screwed up when doing the warranty work on the high pressure fuel pump. The bolts broke off and one shot into a valve cover causing damage .... does that even sound right ? I asked them to check into where the 15 gallons of fuel went and could it have killed my cats. Might have it back tomorrow

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The same could be said for any engine going back decades. There will always be a few bad apples. 17,000 trucks a year equates to a few trucks going in for warranty work. There's already several guys who beat on their trucks that have racked up over 60k no issues. And if you look on youtube, there's a bunch of 1st gen ecoboosts over 200k without any work other than standard maintenance.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well F@#k. It’s because they screwed up when doing the warranty work on the high pressure fuel pump. The bolts broke off and one shot into a valve cover causing damage .... does that even sound right ? I asked them to check into where the 15 gallons of fuel went and could it have killed my cats. Might have it back tomorrow

I'd be really amazed if they repaired the issue and had it back to you before the weekend. If a bolt broke and is working it's way around under the valve cover, I image it's done some good damage to the valvetrain. I could be wrong.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A bolt went in the valve cover from the fuel pump? How is that even possible fuel pump is in the fuel tank.....

Have it back tomorrow?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A bolt went in the valve cover from the fuel pump? How is that even possible fuel pump is in the fuel tank.....

Have it back tomorrow?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomorrow they say if they get the valve cover. I dont know if the bolt “shot” into the valve cover from the outside and dinged it. Or got inside the v cover ? I don’t know where this even is or how the he’ll it occurs. Maybe it’s some other valve cover.