Tow Rules....straps, hitch, chains, winches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this video on youtube..granted thats awesome how they hooked the raptor to the winch, however...i can think of a couple of safety concerns while watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APCg3SKY20U&feature=player_embedded

I have seen tow chains/cables or straps slip, or even break off/away...and slam into the back of the vehicle with the most load (or into somebody god forbid)...what i usually do, if im towing or pulling another stuck vehicle, i place floor mats over the stress points to help cover anything that may snap or break away....i know they sell covers for such applications, but i found myself doing this more than once on my last outing to help a few friends.

not trying to bash the video, but more so to try and come up with tips, to help spread the wealth of info for potential users that may be in the same situation...im always open for better ideas or a safer way of doing things, especially when we are in such remote areas away from help and so on...

so for some of you more experienced gurus, would be cool to get some insight (besides jump in a bed of mud without judging its depth and so on lol)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good point Jesse and a great suggestion (to winch safely).

Here are some safe winching tips:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...nching_101_basic_use_and_safety/photo_07.html

http://www.trailersrless.com/winch-safety.html

131_1004_09+basic_winch_safety_tips+winch_situations.jpg

Above: Each winching situation is different from the last. It's important to exercise all safety procedures and options before winching. The strap attached to this snatch block should be lower on the rock so it doesn't slip off. A winch weight should always be used on the cable while winching. Don't use anything lightweight to subdue wire rope, such as a floor mat or T-shirt, because they won't help if the rope snaps.

From the above link:

Now that you have a fancy new winch bolted to the front your 4x4, you need to know the ins and outs of safe use. As cool and trick as they look, recovery winches are easy to use, but they aren't toys and can be extremely dangerous.

The basic operations of a winch are controlled by remote. The remote allows you to spool the rope/cable in and out by controlling the rotation of the winch drum. Remote leads are long enough so the winch can be operated from the driver seat or from a safe distance outside the vehicle.Using a winch is fun and could help you get the most out of your 4x4 by letting you to take it places you couldn't go without it. But as simple as they are to use, winches can cause severe bodily injury, including the loss of fingers, hands, and eyes and even death. We know that's a harsh description of the consequences, but they can happen if you don't take precautions.

Common sense, experience, and manufacturer recommendations offer a number of basic rules for safe winch operation. Follow along long as we walk through a few basic tips.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent info Dan! that makes a ton of sense...and something i will do next time if im ever in a winch scenario....

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to comment on thefloor mat thing but Dan beat me. Floor mats to control a broken winch attachment serve no purpose. Get the real equipment or do not bother.

The main. Problem I see with the video is one of the things that is not really shown... never tow by a winch cable...

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks frog!

this is all great info as im looking into purchasing a winch here soon...and i want to enjoy my experiences, not get killed by them LOL

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem I see with the video is one of the things that is not really shown... never tow by a winch cable...
frog, just for clarity for those newbies among us, you're referencing the end of the vid where they obviously run out of winch lead, and rather than reset, they just drive the anchor vehicle in reverse for a few feet? I think I get why that's a bad idea (because the winch aint setup to handle the shock load?), but can you explain a bit to be sure?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the end is what I am talking about. In this case it is not horrible but it is a bad habit to get into. Winch cables are not designed to take sudden jerks... if you tow with the cable you put strains on it that it was not designed for. You are also far more likely to run the winch cable over. Finally you may well damage your fairlead or winch. Probable? Nor really in this case. Worth the risk? Definitely not.

I am not entirely happy with the rigging either. If that is a snatch strap it should not be used for wincing as it is "stretchy". If it is a tow strap it is probably not rated for winching.

If you check the winching posts that Dan made there is a lot of good info on the forces involved. The only strap you should really use in rigging is a free saver... and that is specifically for saving trees.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. If they had a snatch strap (looks like they did) and assuming it was long enough (looks like it was?) couldn't they have used it and not the winch at all?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... however a snatch strap.puts more strain on everything than a winch...

Essentially a winch puts exactly the amount of load on the mobile truck that it needs to get it moving... (it is a little more complex than that but still...) a snatch strap puts a single massive load on the stuck vehicle.... it is spread out over the time it takes for the strap to stretch but it is still quick and.massive.... not as bad as using a chain but not as good as a winch.... also you can get yourself stuck if you are.not careful trying to snatch someone out.