Tow after 11 days...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope its something simple and stupid. The dealer my wife works at had a new truck with 150 miles come in because the coolant overflow tube was not clamped and it dumped out and overheated. The clamp was on hose but too far back.

OP
OP
Revs2ninegrand

Revs2ninegrand

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope its something simple and stupid. The dealer my wife works at had a new truck with 150 miles come in because the coolant overflow tube was not clamped and it dumped out and overheated. The clamp was on hose but too far back.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for! If I wasn't on the side of the hwy and afraid my daughter would follow me out, I would have at least took a peek

OP
OP
Revs2ninegrand

Revs2ninegrand

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? I did this 3 or 4 times on the test drive.
To be honest, I never even took it for a test drive. They unloaded it off the truck did the PDI, walked me through the features and I was out of there. Tried to somewhat stick to the break in the best I could

OP
OP
Revs2ninegrand

Revs2ninegrand

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the service department, looks like a coolant line to the transmission warmer was disconnected/not seated properly. They're dropping it back off at my house. Thankful it wasn't something more catastrophic!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
To be honest, I never even took it for a test drive. They unloaded it off the truck did the PDI, walked me through the features and I was out of there. Tried to somewhat stick to the break in the best I could
I don’t want this to sound mean spirited, so please don’t interpret it that way but you’re plopping down almost a hundred large of either your own money, or someone else’s money that you’re borrowing, drive off without a full vetting, and then post to FRF your truck got towed after 11 days at the first real long pull with boost.

Isn’t that a little unfair to Ford, who admittedly bear responsibility here but this is not a new thing. We have had the exact same failure on Jen Too, Jen Tres, but of course not the Jen Juan. Any reports of trouble with any aspect of the powertrain of a 2010-2014 Raptor are #FRFHeresy and will get you excommunicated.

I’m just trying to point out that if you value your time and money, it’s worth a few hours to make sure you’re getting what you paid for.
I haven’t test driven my last 6-7 vehicles. I get it.

I’m guessing they weren’t Raptors? Because we have “what to check” threads from 2017 and 2021 for all things Gen 2 and Gen 3, respectively. They’re long lists inclusive of loose transmission line fittings, loose coolant lines, boost tubes. One of our Jen Too FRF famously lost all coolant like 10-15 minutes into the ride home. The ride home -was- his test drive.

Just got off the phone with the service department, looks like a coolant line to the transmission warmer was disconnected/not seated properly. They're dropping it back off at my house. Thankful it wasn't something more catastrophic!
Agreed, you should be back to Raptoring most rickety tick-tock.

OP
OP
Revs2ninegrand

Revs2ninegrand

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want this to sound mean spirited, so please don’t interpret it that way but you’re plopping down almost a hundred large of either your own money, or someone else’s money that you’re borrowing, drive off without a full vetting, and then post to FRF your truck got towed after 11 days at the first real long pull with boost.

Isn’t that a little unfair to Ford, who admittedly bear responsibility here but this is not a new thing. We have had the exact same failure on Jen Too, Jen Tres, but of course not the Jen Juan. Any reports of trouble with any aspect of the powertrain of a 2010-2014 Raptor are #FRFHeresy and will get you excommunicated.

I’m just trying to point out that if you value your time and money, it’s worth a few hours to make sure you’re getting what you paid for.

I’m guessing they weren’t Raptors? Because we have “what to check” threads from 2017 and 2021 for all things Gen 2 and Gen 3, respectively. They’re long lists inclusive of loose transmission line fittings, loose coolant lines, boost tubes. One of our Jen Too FRF famously lost all coolant like 10-15 minutes into the ride home. The ride home -was- his test drive.

Agreed, you should be back to Raptoring most rickety tick-tock.
I totally understand what you mean, and I usually do test drive but the dealer is right near my house and I had my daughters softball game to get to so I rushed. I wasn't meaning to bad mouth Ford or anyone by it breaking down. Humans are involved in assembly of these things so mistakes will happen. I wasn't actually mad or upset it happened in the first place, that's what warranties are for, I was just more so curious if anyone else had it happen and what it could be! I got my answer and will be back to it this evening!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had a similar rush on a previous purchase. I thought I’d covered it but... no.
I missed a curbed wheel, and it was well scuffed for almost half the wheel lip !

I knew it wasn’t me as I’d only driven it home. The stealership took care of me but I was more embarrassed than anything else. Lesson learned.