Totaled or Not

Totaled or Not

• Totaled

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • Not Totaled

Votes: 58 61.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RandyK64

Reaction score
Always have my seat belt on. Id say the Mazda was doing at least 45 mph. I t-***** him and from the very front of his car to half of the back seat door is all completely smashed.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you talk to a lawyer now. Do not discuss with insurance company

Pain/disability for that injury worth over 40-50G easy (or more).

You may have long term pain and future issues with your hand.

100% agree! Glad you're not hurt worse but a broken wrist or hand can lead to a lot of pain later on down the line!

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck needs to be going 35+ to trigger the airbags I believe.

http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/2014/pdf/Air Bag Deployment.pdf

This should make your eyes glaze over unless you are an engineer or a traffic homicide investigator (I would fall into the second category in my prior life). Check out the top of page 8 which pretty much covers this crash. If you have the stamina to make it through the entire nerd/geek paper you will probably know more about airbag deployments than you ever cared to...

If RandyK64 had just started off from a stop his vehicle did not have a lot of forward speed (I’m betting his stated 25mph is more than he was actually doing). Most of the energy from his truck was probably lost through lateral displacement along with some rotation because pickups have very little weight in the rear so they like to rotate or spin even more than a passenger car. If Randy hit the driver’s side of the passenger car (likely in this case because Randy said he crossed 5 lanes before hitting the car) the Raptor should have displaced to the driver’s side of the Raptor and rotated in a counterclockwise direction. In looking at the pic of the Raptor there is very little crush damage, indicating a low forward speed. I would speculate that Randy tensed up during the impact and his left hand was holding the steering wheel. The lateral acceleration would be the mechanism of the injury.

I have never been in the repair side of the crashes, but my SWAG would be that the insurance company is going to try and repair it. Let us know how it turns out RandyK64! I am hoping your left hand fully recovers and you don’t end up knowing when the weather is about to change in the future because of the pain in your hand. My money is also on the fact that the idiot in the car came out the loser in this crash. You probably peeled off most of one of the sides of his car (his vehicle is probably totaled), and I am hoping that the Po-Po that investigated the crash left him with a citation (or several).

JRap

Reaction score
I’d want it totaled. That truck will never feel the same after all that extensive repair. Hope that arm heals up nice and fast.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you talk to a lawyer now. Do not discuss with insurance company

Pain/disability for that injury worth over 40-50G easy (or more).

Unless your trying to get blood out of a turnip, I've lived this nightmare, wifey got hit by a car while crossing the street, mind you, labor day weekend, he was driving the wrong way (west in east bound lanes) and hit her, I won, it took 3 years, good luck, I hope you heal up.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Large truck swideswiped front?
My layman guess would be it's totaled if frame is bent, not totaled if frame is intact.

Sorry to see that man, hope insurance takes care of you properly.

the frame being bent isnt actually as big of a deal as it used to be, these trucks are so modular putting a new frame under them isn't a big deal. I realize the raptor frame is expensive and may be more difficult to source but they replace them on regular F150s frequently. My friend was hit in the front passenger side and it messed up the frame at a control arm mount point (common apparently) and it got a new frame. It was far from being totaled.