Total weight limit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eugeneorange

Reaction score
I just noticed the door label on my '12 SCrew:

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 880 lbs."

What??
With the seating capacity of 5, if I have 5 people my weight (200lb), that means I'm over the limit even with my truck bed empty?

What about 3 people, 3 dirtbikes in the bed, plus 3 large gearbags...
That would be about 600lbs for people, 840 lbs for bikes and cca 100 lbs for gear = 1,540 lbs.

Am I reading something wrong?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope your reading it right, 880lbs must include all payload:

* Passengers and anything else in the cab
* Stuff in the bed
* Tongue weight of the trailer if your towing

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating is an important number to know, whether you're driving a pickup truck towing a trailer, a two-seater roadster or anything in-between. You can think of the GVWR as a weight limit for your specific vehicle -- a weight limit set by the automaker. Gross vehicle weight ratings take into account the base curb weight of the vehicle plus the weight of any optional accessories, cargo and passengers. A vehicle should never be loaded beyond the manufacturer's listed GVWR.

Safety is the driving force behind the GVWR for any vehicle. If a vehicle is overloaded, a number of problems can result. For example, if the vehicle is too heavy, the brakes may not be substantial enough to slow down or stop the vehicle effectively; the suspension components can become ineffective or possibly even break under the added strain and tires that are overloaded generate more heat, making them more likely to blow out. For safety's sake, the GVW should never surpass the GVWR.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That basically renders the raptor useless for much more then hauling people around, and it barely works for that. Welcome to the world of limiting liability.

OP
OP
eugeneorange

eugeneorange

Reaction score
Holly s___t!!
That is.... uhm...upsetting!! - to be tame about it.

So that means you can't take your family out friggin' camping with some 'toys'??? That's ridiculous. What's the return policy on this thing ....}:/

Btw, what is the max for "regular workhorse" Screw F150?

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't worry about it. If I have an accident I am not going to use Ford, and insurance, at least in my case, is not going to use that as something to cancel liability.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Almost every single insurance company uses a contract to imply coverage, and they all say if you use the vehicle outside the MFG recommended use your coverage is void... Read your policy because you don't want an accident and the other party attorney coming after you for the rest of your life for damages, and yes it has happened...

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the door label on my '12 SCrew:

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 880 lbs."

What??
With the seating capacity of 5, if I have 5 people my weight (200lb), that means I'm over the limit even with my truck bed empty?

What about 3 people, 3 dirtbikes in the bed, plus 3 large gearbags...
That would be about 600lbs for people, 840 lbs for bikes and cca 100 lbs for gear = 1,540 lbs.

Am I reading something wrong?
3 Dirt bikes are going to be difficult to fit in the Raptor's short bed as well.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holly s___t!!

So that means you can't take your family out friggin' camping with some 'toys'??? That's ridiculous. What's the return policy on this thing ....}:/

2014 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com The 2013 Raptor Screw's payload is 1180 lbs. And some of the Heavy Duty F150 Screw's can go over to 2,300 lbs.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Holly s___t!!

2014 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com The 2013 Raptor Screw's payload is 1180 lbs. and some of the Heavy Duty F150's can go over to 2,400 lbs. Unfortunately, the Raptor's long travel, relatively soft suspension which results in the rare combination of a stellar ride and outstanding off-road capability work against it as a heavy duty hauler.