Torsen Function when one wheel in the air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://torsen.com/ask-torsen-torque-bias-ratio-functional-questions/

Does anyone know if the traction nannies/drive modes will apply resistence to make the front Torsen work when one wheel is airborne? The Torsen works on the principal of splitting torque but when one wheel is in the air there is no torque to split. The article I posed from Torsen says it won't work when one wheel is in the air but I thought maybe Ford did something with the traction control/drive modes to compensate in that unusual situation

I tried this thread before with no luck. Hoping someone may know.

Reaction score
Not terribly knowledgeable about Ford's controls but in the road racing world, dragging a bit of left foot braking is the method of choice for keeping torque flowing through a torsen when you are at risk of picking up a wheel. Theoretically Ford's electronic nannies could do that automatically and way more precise directing only the airborne wheel to drag on a brake and resume power flow to the ground on the planted wheel.

OP
OP
P

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not terribly knowledgeable about Ford's controls but in the road racing world, dragging a bit of left foot braking is the method of choice for keeping torque flowing through a torsen when you are at risk of picking up a wheel. Theoretically Ford's electronic nannies could do that automatically and way more precise directing only the airborne wheel to drag on a brake and resume power flow to the ground on the planted wheel.

Thank you. Yeah I was thinking that left foot braking would be the answer but hoping that the nannies would do something helpful...LOL Guess I could just jack up 3 wheels and test it out

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torsen® differentials are torque-biasing, meaning they distribute torque between the tires – biasing more torque toward wherever it’s best used – without requiring a loss of traction to operate. They work by managing the friction which results when torque is applied to the helical gearing. So in theory it would sense no torque on airborne side and put all on side on ground.

OP
OP
P

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torsen® differentials are torque-biasing, meaning they distribute torque between the tires – biasing more torque toward wherever it’s best used – without requiring a loss of traction to operate. They work by managing the friction which results when torque is applied to the helical gearing. So in theory it would sense no torque on airborne side and put all on side on ground.

Thank you but did you read the article I posted from Torsen? According to the makers of the Torsen differential it WILL NOT work with one wheel in the air. I'm curious if Ford worked the nannies to make up the difference

OP
OP
P

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the torsen applies even torque to both the wheels, but it will allow one wheel to freewheel faster.

That is true but when one wheel is in the air there is no torque to engage the torsen. The FAQ on the Torsen website confirms this. Looking for weather Ford uses the nannies to apply torque to the wheel free spinning in the air.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what little I know, while at the Raptor Assualt they told us to left foot brake to keep the torsen engaged. That Ford had designed it that way.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
From what little I know, while at the Raptor Assualt they told us to left foot brake to keep the torsen engaged. That Ford had designed it that way.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Glad to hear that, I was concerned other nannies (brake-throttle override) might prevent this. They really ought to put this in the Raptor supplemental manual.