TORSEN Front Diff!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, like I say with so many of the threads I comment on, sorry to bringing this back from the dead.

I guess I confused. My 2011 is said to have an Open Front Differential. I thought an Open Diff is used, primarily on the rear axle, to eliminate/reduce wear on the gears when the vehicle is turning. It opens to allow the outside wheel to spin faster. Why or why, would this be used on a 4X4, let alone in the front axle? We all know that you're supposed to use 4 wheel drive on surfaces that will allow the wheels to slip, so why would they build this in? With my rear locker, do I still only have 4x3?

Maybe it's a different implementation of an Open Diff or it's different from what I understand, or I'm completely wrong. Someone help me out here.

Thanks

Todd

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, like I say with so many of the threads I comment on, sorry to bringing this back from the dead.

I guess I confused. My 2011 is said to have an Open Front Differential. I thought an Open Diff is used, primarily on the rear axle, to eliminate/reduce wear on the gears when the vehicle is turning. It opens to allow the outside wheel to spin faster. Why or why, would this be used on a 4X4, let alone in the front axle? We all know that you're supposed to use 4 wheel drive on surfaces that will allow the wheels to slip, so why would they build this in? With my rear locker, do I still only have 4x3?

Maybe it's a different implementation of an Open Diff or it's different from what I understand, or I'm completely wrong. Someone help me out here.

Thanks

Todd

Most standard 4x4's have an open front diff, so yes, in 4 wheel drive with your locker engaged, you have 4x3. If you elevate one front wheel that wheel is going to spin and the other won't. It is FAR more common to have a limited slip or locker in the rear. I'm sure there are a million arguments you could make here, but the bottom line is that they didn't include this until 2012. I'll agree it doesn't make a ton of sense for hard core offroaders, but most people aren't hard core offroaders. Open diffs are quite frustrating, however it's that torsen diff in my 2012 that busted my CV joint a few weeks ago cause the big ole 6.2 power was forced into both wheels instead of just the one without traction. :emotions122:

Also, I might add that any sort of locker/limited slip on the front is FAR harder on the drive train than the rear while engaged and good luck turning!

Another factor to consider is all of the new computerized gizmos in cars these days. They now have the ability (traction control) to selectively apply brakes to the slipping wheel, forcing power back to the gripping wheel - in effect like a locker. It's not nearly as effective for rock crawling and such, but decent for grocery getting in the snow.

Last edited:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dane. I guess I feel like a kid who just found out Santa Clause isn't real.

I mean, why in the world, would you go through the trouble of adding a transfer case, another drive shaft, a whole extra drive axle, locking hubs, and then on spin one fricking wheel when it gets slippery? Just don't get it. :emotions122:

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I will say, I guess it works, so I should stop bitching. I wheeled my old Ram twice. Went up rocks, gnarly hills and tons of mud, and it did great, and that was with an OPEN rear diff. I guess I really only had a 4X2, but the two driven wheels were on different axles!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Dane. I guess I feel like a kid who just found out Santa Clause isn't real.

I mean, why in the world, would you go through the trouble of adding a transfer case, another drive shaft, a whole extra drive axle, locking hubs, and then on spin one fricking wheel when it gets slippery? Just don't get it. :emotions122:

Cause 95% of the time it works great, and it's a helluva lot more effective than just rear wheel drive. Adding in a front locker or limited slip increases the complexity of everything.

I can totally relate to how you feel though, I remember when I learned that a standard 4x4 (with open diffs) was really a 4x2. :whymewhyme:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a little shocked too that Ford waited until the 3rd model year to add it. Seems like a no brainer if you're building a super duper desert pre-runner. Maybe at speed it's not an issue, but over the rocks or in soft stuff, like sand, mud, soft crappy ground, I bet we'll miss it. Looks like I'm adding a FRP front torsen diff to my wish list.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'm a little shocked too that Ford waited until the 3rd model year to add it. Seems like a no brainer if you're building a super duper desert pre-runner. Maybe at speed it's not an issue, but over the rocks or in soft stuff, like sand, mud, soft crappy ground, I bet we'll miss it. Looks like I'm adding a FRP front torsen diff to my wish list.

If you look at all the production 4x4's out there you are going to be pretty hard pressed to find ANY of them that have any sort of front limited slip or locker. I can think of the Rubicon and the Power Wagon - both intended for slow rock crawling and both with a locker, not LSD. That locking isn't so important in the front of a high speed desert runner, but Ford has been trying to increase the rock crawling ability of the Raptor (Bead lock rims, torsen, etc). That wasn't the original intent, so no front limited slip. They had to put a lot of work into making that torsen a feasible concept, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with it. The torsen is one big reason I held out for the 2012.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are going to upgrade 2010-2011 front diff... Definitely, check out wavetrac, it is in my opinion the best solution for the Raptor front diff!

-Greg