Torque specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen "torque to yield" in the torque specs. I have tried looking up what this means but haven't been successful at understanding how to do this.

Can I get confirmation on some of my assumptions and some advice on the issues?

My situation:
I will be installing the RPG stage 3 rear suspension with the Deaver HD springs. The spring u-bolts in the torque spec sheet is labeled torque to yield (TTY).

My assumptions:
TTY is making sure the u-bolt stretches when torquing down the nuts. One approach I have read was to torque down the nut to a specific torque then tighten 1/2 turn more. I also assume that the nuts have to be tightened in a repeated X pattern to ensure all nuts are getting tightened similarly.

Question:
If my assumptions were correct, then can a member help me figure out what torque I need for the u-bolt nuts before I continue with my half turn more? If my assumptions are incorrect then can a member help me figure out how to approach this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have seen "torque to yield" in the torque specs. I have tried looking up what this means but haven't been successful at understanding how to do this.

Can I get confirmation on some of my assumptions and some advice on the issues?

My situation:
I will be installing the RPG stage 3 rear suspension with the Deaver HD springs. The spring u-bolts in the torque spec sheet is labeled torque to yield (TTY).

My assumptions:
TTY is making sure the u-bolt stretches when torquing down the bolts. One approach I have read was to torque down the bolt to a specific torque then tighten 1/2 turn more. I also assume that the bolts have to be tightened in a repeated X pattern to ensure all bolts are getting tightened similarly.

Question:
If my assumptions were correct, then can a member help me figure out what torque I need for the bolts before I continue with my half turn more. If my assumptions are incorrect then can a member help me figure out how to approach this?

Thanks!
Torque to yield means that they are one time use only because they get stretched to the point that they will not return to their original length (plastic deformation). There are indeed some TTY bolts that have an angle applied to them after they are torqued to a certain value (usually for GM cylinder head bolts), but that is not the case in this application. @pirate air is / was a Ford tech and would have noted it as such.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about the half turn more method. I just did springs and this is what I did:

1st torque - star pattern (like torqueing a wheel) - 26 lbs
2nd torque - 52 lbs
3rd torque - 74 lbs
Final torque - 98 lbs

I then went back and redid the final torque again about 100 miles later.

This is perfect, thank you so much 2014RubyRed!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am doing new rotors and pads this weekend so can someone confirm if I am reading this correct:

Front Brakes:
- caliper guide pin bolt (2 bolts) >> 27 foot-pounds
- caliper bracket bolts (2 bolts) >> 184 foot-pounds

Rear Brakes:
- caliper guide pin bolt (2 bolts) >> 22 foot-pounds
- caliper bracket bolts (2 bolts) >> 122 foot-pounds

Thank you!

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing new rotors and pads this weekend so can someone confirm if I am reading this correct:

Front Brakes:
- caliper guide pin bolt (2 bolts) >> 27 foot-pounds
- caliper bracket bolts (2 bolts) >> 184 foot-pounds

Rear Brakes:
- caliper guide pin bolt (2 bolts) >> 22 foot-pounds
- caliper bracket bolts (2 bolts) >> 122 foot-pounds

Thank you!

Confirmed, looks right. I am not sure if you are referencing the spreadsheet I posted earlier in this thread, but your numbers match the torque specs there. Thanks again to pirate air for the original post.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did reference that sheet and wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly. Thank you for the confirmation.

I am doing the rears now and will post some pics when done. :)

Confirmed, looks right. I am not sure if you are referencing the spreadsheet I posted earlier in this thread, but your numbers match the torque specs there. Thanks again to pirate air for the original post.

DavidL

Reaction score
I know this is a real old thread. Hoping someone knows the torque specs for the running board bracket to frame and bracket to board. I removed the brackets to powder coat them and can't seem to find the spec to properly put them back on.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a real old thread. Hoping someone knows the torque specs for the running board bracket to frame and bracket to board. I removed the brackets to powder coat them and can't seem to find the spec to properly put them back on.
its not that important. just use the forearm torque specs. just before the bolt snaps