Torque converter and valve body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modyy22

Reaction score
Hello guys
I have a 2011 f150 6.2 svt raptor, my torque converter is bad, slipping and making a noise and I need to change it but the mechanic is telling to also change the valve body too because he’s thinking that maybe the valve body is the one that ruined the torque converter and I believe that my valve body is fine but he’s telling me if I don’t put a new valve body the torque converter will go bad again is that true ? Any recommendations please
Thank you

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have no idea, but it does sound suspicious that a valve body would have anything to do with a torque converter. Have you done the lead frame on your transmission or is that 2012 and later?

OP
OP
M

modyy22

Reaction score
No I haven’t but do you think a bad lead frame will ruin the torque converter ?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No I haven’t but do you think a bad lead frame will ruin the torque converter ?
I have no idea, I just know it was another issue on some trucks later on. Some expert will be on here shortly I’m sure. Or you can try using the search function, top right.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The torque converter clutch valve and solenoid are located in the valve body. If the valve sticks or the solenoid is not operating the valve properly, the torque converter clutch can partially apply when it is supposed to be locked, which will burn it out.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The torque converter clutch valve and solenoid are located in the valve body. If the valve sticks or the solenoid is not operating the valve properly, the torque converter clutch can partially apply when it is supposed to be locked, which will burn it out.
I did a little bit of research and apparently what I read, the solenoid can just be replaced, instead of the whole valve body, but maybe this tech is wanting to replace the valve body for other reasons as well?
1628701105568.png

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did a little bit of research and apparently what I read, the solenoid can just be replaced, instead of the whole valve body, but maybe this tech is wanting to replace the valve body for other reasons as well?
View attachment 315578
A failed solenoid will almost always set a DTC. The solenoid allows fluid to flow to the valve, but that doesn’t mean the valve is actually moving or is in the proper position.

OP
OP
M

modyy22

Reaction score
What causes a torque converter to go bad? My transmission was working perfectly fine and gear shifting was perfect just suddenly it started to slip from 3rd to 4th and the next day over temperature and the car stopped moving completely until it cooled down, I thought maybe low fluid so I decided to change the oil and put a new transmission oil from Ford, after that a whining noise started to come even when the car is not moving!! No power gears slipping

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What causes a torque converter to go bad? My transmission was working perfectly fine and gear shifting was perfect just suddenly it started to slip from 3rd to 4th and the next day over temperature and the car stopped moving completely until it cooled down, I thought maybe low fluid so I decided to change the oil and put a new transmission oil from Ford, after that a whining noise started to come even when the car is not moving!! No power gears slipping
Torque converters do not generally fail. If it’s slipping shifting between 3rd and 4th you may have a valve body or clutch issue; a torque converter failure will affect all gears, unless you’re just referring to the lockup function which is only available in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. How did the fluid look that you drained out? What’s the trucks mileage and maintenance history?