torn between Raptor vs F250 Diesel/Tremor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The F250 and Raptor are so different, hard to see how people cross-shop both.

to you they may be very different to a lot of people they’re just 2 big ass trucks....that also happen to be made by the same manufacturer that also offers a legit off-road package for both....only trucks that come from factory w/ 35” tires & real offroad cred? raptor & tremor

They’re definitely on 2 ends of the spectrum as to what they excel at individually, but theyre both fairly extreme examples of the “truck genre” so to speak & are “overkill” for 90% of people that buy them to begin with.

kinda like cross shopping a C8 vette w/ a challenger hellcat....both very different & have different top skill sets, but in a way they play in the same space when it comes down to it

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
to you they may be very different to a lot of people they’re just 2 big ass trucks....that also happen to be made by the same manufacturer that also offers a legit off-road package for both....only trucks that come from factory w/ 35” tires & real offroad cred? raptor & tremor

They’re definitely on 2 ends of the spectrum as to what they excel at individually, but theyre both fairly extreme examples of the “truck genre” so to speak & are “overkill” for 90% of people that buy them to begin with.

kinda like cross shopping a C8 vette w/ a challenger hellcat....both very different & have different top skill sets, but in a way they play in the same space when it comes down to it

Well explained :)

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F250 and Raptor are so different, hard to see how people cross-shop both.
@Badgertits hey man - fellow former 2019 802A Raptor owner here. Now happy 2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L owner. Traded the Raptor in (with the crazy market prices right now) for it. 2000 miles and 6 weeks of ownership, never looked back. I’ve offroaded both.
Hit me up/PM if you want to chat a bit more in detail about the two.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a disclaimer, nobody on this forum should be "fine" with a Tacoma; it's the prius of pickups and it has about the same level of usefulness and utility, which is to say zero.

It sounds like you really liked the Powerstroke F-250; have you driven the Tremor version? The additional size, weight, and width of the tires may be helpful with putting down all of that power and torque. I'm surprised the 7.3 felt so underpowered; I figured 430HP would be more than adequate for that application. I agree that it is incredible how well the new HD trucks ride; it wasn't long ago that F-250s were riding on an open c-channel frame with leaf springs both front and rear.

The Chrysler 6 speed used in the RAM is the 68RFE; it's a 20 year old proven design and has shown to be plenty strong behind the 6.7 Cummins, so unless you're planning on modding it for big power, it should be just fine. That said, I agree that the RAM HD is due to be replaced with a new version, the minor refresh is just a stop gap.

The 6.2 in the GM twins is a strong and efficient engine, and it's paired to the same 10 speed transmission used in the F-150/Raptor. The only differences are the calibrations and manufacturing plants. The only downside is the interiors, for some reason GM continues to drop the ball on interior design and functionality compared with Ford and RAM.
I am very surprised at hearing people think the 7.3L doesn’t have enough power. Sure - the 1000lbs-ft powerstroke has an obscene amount of torque. I’ve driven both and ended up going for the 7.3L. Lots of low end torque available on this one too. Overall pulls hard & long and never felt like I needed more power than it has in the first 6 weeks of ownership. I absolutely love this engine. I did kind of love my 3.5EB HO too but that iron block pushrod port injected V8 is just... well... it’s just ‘MURICA

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am very surprised at hearing people think the 7.3L doesn’t have enough power. Sure - the 1000lbs-ft powerstroke has an obscene amount of torque. I’ve driven both and ended up going for the 7.3L. Lots of low end torque available on this one too. Overall pulls hard & long and never felt like I needed more power than it has in the first 6 weeks of ownership. I absolutely love this engine. I did kind of love my 3.5EB HO too but that iron block pushrod port injected V8 is just... well... it’s just ‘MURICA

you can never have too much power or too much braking capability when you're towing over 11K lbs.

There are a few very memorable mountain passes that make me thankful that I've got that 1000 ft lbs of torque.

I don't want to see what the coolant temps and trans temps look like on an f250 gasser when pulling 11-12K lbs from El Centro to San Diego on 8.