Torchys sound system build, Morel and JL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well done, it should sound very clean.

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Hopefully finishing it all up today and will keep yall posted.

Looking great keep going I want to see what you think of it after it's all done. You picked some big boy parts.
Big thanks for all your help. I know I questioned you to death hehe. Most certainly will let ya know.

im glad i could help. wait until you drive the truck. with all that sound deadening, its going to be very quiet inside
Really glad I went with those tiles. The NVH inside is amazing. Almost like a Benz. Can't wait to see what all this does with sound.

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*****UPDATE*****

It is all finished!

So finished up all wiring last night. Got board all bolted in. Hit the start button and no sound. Like at all. No sound at all tells you something. So I thought something was up with the ZEN. Go over the lights on ZEN and Zen was telling me it's perfect.

Then thought maybe amps. It dawned on me that I went full TOSlink from ZEN to amp and TOSlink from amp to amp so maybe that was it. Turns out it was.

Prior to all this, I had already downloaded the JL TUN software. I USBed 6channel amp to laptop and it needed an update. Updated the 6channel and after playing with the software got all 6 channels to come on!

Next plugged in the 1channel (sub amp) got it updated but could not get the sub to come on. Got the amp on, it'd light up but the sub was not playing. Was pretty confident in the wiring so did not retrace that. Got super frustrated, questioned my existence, drank some beers and went to bed.

Called JL tech this morning before work and they were really great to work with. Turns out, after you set up the amp, you have to hit this button that sends the changes you made in the software, to the amp ("transfer to VXi"). Well on the 1 channel I basically didn't do that. DOH! So it was software/user error the whole time.

End of story got bass and everything working with JL tech on phone. Hailed him as a king, and played with the software some this morning. Got time alignment dialed in and all crossover points done. In fact, I didn't even change any crossover points, a lot of it is already pre-dialed via TUN. Next step is tuning, which I have basically no idea what I'm doing there.

So far, it sounds AWESOME. The bass is pretty deep and I need to go in and turn the gain down. It's almost too much right now. Speakers are super clear and overall everything is clean. That was the goal, clean sound, good bass and all hidden.

Finished product
FBECC4-E5-22-B5-46-BF-BEAA-9-E5-AF9-A8-A01-F.jpg

1-CBF4-D5-A-1-C54-413-E-8208-D3-C85-FB23-E44.jpg

Sub
1-FDA7-C4-B-76-EE-4-AD7-BCEE-294-B569-A83-DE.jpg

All
7-A7-CF371-2239-492-C-8-DAB-4-F715-E4-C5-B6-D.jpg

Sidenote: Don't be scared of the ZEN A2B. Update it on your computer before you even install it. Super easy to work with(especially compared to TUN software hehe). The factory ZEN preset on the chimes are set too low. ZEN's pre-set chime sounds are at 20%. I moved mine to either 40% or 45% and that sounded like the proper volume of chimes in relation to speaker volume. Also I turned bluetooth phone volume to 100%. That seemed closest to factory.

Other than those easy changes within ZEN software there is nothing wonky at all. So far the only thing i think I lost is that when you make to take a call, the AC does not go down 2 fan speeds. No biggie.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*****UPDATE*****

It is all finished!

So finished up all wiring last night. Got board all bolted in. Hit the start button and no sound. Like at all. No sound at all tells you something. So I thought something was up with the ZEN. Go over the lights on ZEN and Zen was telling me it's perfect.

Then thought maybe amps. It dawned on me that I went full TOSlink from ZEN to amp and TOSlink from amp to amp so maybe that was it. Turns out it was.

Prior to all this, I had already downloaded the JL TUN software. I USBed 6channel amp to laptop and it needed an update. Updated the 6channel and after playing with the software got all 6 channels to come on!

Next plugged in the 1channel (sub amp) got it updated but could not get the sub to come on. Got the amp on, it'd light up but the sub was not playing. Was pretty confident in the wiring so did not retrace that. Got super frustrated, questioned my existence, drank some beers and went to bed.

Called JL tech this morning before work and they were really great to work with. Turns out, after you set up the amp, you have to hit this button that sends the changes you made in the software, to the amp ("transfer to VXi"). Well on the 1 channel I basically didn't do that. DOH! So it was software/user error the whole time.

End of story got bass and everything working with JL tech on phone. Hailed him as a king, and played with the software some this morning. Got time alignment dialed in and all crossover points done. In fact, I didn't even change any crossover points, a lot of it is already pre-dialed via TUN. Next step is tuning, which I have basically no idea what I'm doing there.

So far, it sounds AWESOME. The bass is pretty deep and I need to go in and turn the gain down. It's almost too much right now. Speakers are super clear and overall everything is clean. That was the goal, clean sound, good bass and all hidden.

Finished product
FBECC4-E5-22-B5-46-BF-BEAA-9-E5-AF9-A8-A01-F.jpg

1-CBF4-D5-A-1-C54-413-E-8208-D3-C85-FB23-E44.jpg

Sub
1-FDA7-C4-B-76-EE-4-AD7-BCEE-294-B569-A83-DE.jpg

All
7-A7-CF371-2239-492-C-8-DAB-4-F715-E4-C5-B6-D.jpg

Sidenote: Don't be scared of the ZEN A2B. Update it on your computer before you even install it. Super easy to work with(especially compared to TUN software hehe). The factory ZEN preset on the chimes are set too low. ZEN's pre-set chime sounds are at 20%. I moved mine to either 40% or 45% and that sounded like the proper volume of chimes in relation to speaker volume. Also I turned bluetooth phone volume to 100%. That seemed closest to factory.

Other than those easy changes within ZEN software there is nothing wonky at all. So far the only thing i think I lost is that when you make to take a call, the AC does not go down 2 fan speeds. No biggie.
i would check the crossover settings to make sure. if you are running active fronts, i would suggest setting the tweeter crossovers on a high pass filter at 3500hz. at a 24db per octave slope. i believe the jl amps have an eq curve setting. try butterworth because its the most predictable. the door speakers set at a high pass at 85hz and low pass at 3500hz. both at 24db per octave. the sub can be set on lowpass at 85hz. its a good baseline to start and can make changes as needed, but this protects the speakers so you can turn it up with out fear of blowing speakers. especially tweeters

NV Paul

Reaction score
Glad to hear someone else fell down that rabbit hole. Great build and write up, I second the shout out to Bruce and Noah those guys are great! I started with the same "lets put a sub in for some better sound" ended up with Focals and 3 way active.

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would check the crossover settings to make sure. if you are running active fronts, i would suggest setting the tweeter crossovers on a high pass filter at 3500hz. at a 24db per octave slope. i believe the jl amps have an eq curve setting. try butterworth because its the most predictable. the door speakers set at a high pass at 85hz and low pass at 3500hz. both at 24db per octave. the sub can be set on lowpass at 85hz. its a good baseline to start and can make changes as needed, but this protects the speakers so you can turn it up with out fear of blowing speakers. especially tweeters

Soooo let's see if this works. What do you think about this? Crossovers are bottom left.
Screenshot-2020-10-11-JL.png

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Where did you end up putting your jack? Are you happy with how the LMI seat relocation worked out?
It ended up in the garage lol. There's these lockable swing out, boxes that are in the bed. I might get one of those and put it in there. Not sure yet. A buddy has one new sitting in his garage. I just have to go get it.

This thing:
Swing Case

And yes on the LMI. Little bit of work to get it installed but now that it's been installed for a month is has been problem free. No weird noises, squeaks or qwerks.

OP
OP
T

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear someone else fell down that rabbit hole. Great build and write up, I second the shout out to Bruce and Noah those guys are great! I started with the same "lets put a sub in for some better sound" ended up with Focals and 3 way active.
Yes man fully fell in. Saw you thread and it looks epic!