Top Ten Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean R

Reaction score
As I new Raptor owner, I was looking for suggestions as to what mods to pursue first.

There may already be a thread specific to this so a redirect would be appreciated.

If not, what are some recommendations? Assume light offroading for a beginner.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck is good as is for light offroading. What mods you do from there will mostly depend on personal preferences, what you're willing to spend, and what risks you want to take. Your going to get advice in several different directions.

Some will recommend get a tune to improve the HP you get out of the engine, but that comes with the risk of killing your warranty. You can do Forscan changes or pedal commander. You can get a stubby antenna if you have height issues in garages. Some will immediately change the tires and wheels, or switch out the bumpers. Some will go for paint protection. Others will get lights or upgrade the audio system. None of these are bad options, just matters what matters to you.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
light offroading for a beginner.

Light off roading gear !

recovery straps
come along
first aid kits.
E-tools (shovels)
traction pads
deflators ( you configure to a specific psi for your desired off roading, screw on until the deflating stops )
big @ss air compressor because the cheap car inflators will take the better part of 45 minutes on a 35” tire
etc.

Motoss

Reaction score
Mud flaps for at least the front.
Check that tires are aired to door specifications. Many, including myself, have received their Raptors with way too much air in the tires. I got mine at 50 psi, when the door states 38.

Lastly book the Raptor Assault class asap. They give you a limited time to sign up and they fill up quickly. PS they now have you jump their truck as a part of the class.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I more or less completely agree with @smurfslayer

I spent about $5000 in stuff to just be able to off road safely, before any mods. In addition to what @smurfslayer said:

* Rack for in-bed spare
* Extra spare tire
* Lowrance or other off-road GPS
* VHF radio

I personally run a CO2 tank instead of compressor, but either way you need something bigger than a tankless, cigarette lighter inflator.

First mod I did to the actual truck was a bumper designed for having the frame horns cut, ie. RPG Raceline. That was after smashing three factory skid plates. My RPG looks great 5 years later.

A rear facing dust light is also nice. I got a couple Rigid D2's with amber covers after following people with and without them. I knew I never again wanted to be the person someone was following that didn't have them.

Lighting is always an easy mod if you plan to run at night. It can get expensive though, so I wouldn't start there unless you really know you are doing night runs.

To @smurfslayer 's point though, nothing I've mentioned is about upping power or suspension. The added expense in gear was something I didn't really foresee when buying a Raptor.

Last edited:

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my list of mods so far:

Whipple Stage 1 Kit (IC, CAI)
JDM tune (with SP550 plugs)
Radium Dual Catch can system with petcock drain
SPD 170 degree thermostat
Baja Designs S8 light bar mounded in the grille
Baja Designs XL80 A Pillar lights
GJ Third brake light with S2 Pro ambers (wired to upfitter 3) and white (wired to upfitter 4)
S2 Sport reverse light kit
Krazy House Customs torque arm
BAK Revolver X4 tonneau cover
Stubby antenna
Window tint on all windows, windshield, and moonroof (Prestige Spectra PhotoSync IRD)
PPF (Prestige ClearGuard Nano)
Ceramic coat (Modesta BC-04 Nano-Titanium Glass)

Forscan Coding:
Amber marker lights and surrounds as DRL
Max brightness for amber LED marker lights
Seatbelt warning delete
Double honk delete
Temp above gauges
Global windows open/close with fob
Reverse mirror dip
Sub woofer on Aux 1

Accessories:
WeighSafe 4” drop hitch
Viair 400P automatic function portable compressor
ProClip center dash mount for phone
NRA hitch cover

Oil Change at 1500 miles with Amsoil Signature & Amsoil filter

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just remembered one of the first mods I did. I put steel break lines on from Outlaw. Possibly the best, day-to-day mod I've done. The breaks feel a lot firmer and sure'er.