GEN 2 Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually looks pretty sweet. For som reason the connecting rods kinda bug me when flipped all the way open. But I guess most of the time you run the cover closed and the. Flip open just for big items like motor cycle quad etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For sure, I think you can remove the thing as a whole (someone correct me if im wrong) if you need to as well and just stash the whole thing in the back seats or the bed.

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like to know also if it can be quickly removed. Another question tho how does the bak flip hold up in the long run compared to the retrax? I'm curious because I saw a bakflip yesterday on a truck and it looked very worn out and sun faded. Now I have no idea how old it was or if it was poorly taken care of but it really looked beat up and the truck wasn't that old maybe a 5-7 y/o truck.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the bakflip cs f1 but read reports that the rack was wobbly. Hoping to find a cover that works with a removable rack system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the bakflip cs f1 but read reports that the rack was wobbly. Hoping to find a cover that works with a removable rack system.

+1

I plan on using a removable rack system for surfboards, SUPs, kayaks...

Any recommendations on a rack system w/ hard tonneau cover? I will have the factory tonneau hard cover on my Gen2.

Nordic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1

I plan on using a removable rack system for surfboards, SUPs, kayaks...

Any recommendations on a rack system w/ hard tonneau cover? I will have the factory tonneau hard cover on my Gen2.

Not a vendor or pushing anyone's products but I have done some research on this. The flimsy look of cs f1 concerns me as well. Bakflip actually sells a stabilizer kit for the rack so there must be some truth to the wobbliness.

Homepage | TracRac looks like a much sturdier solution and has 1250 lb capacity. Cs f1 is 500. Tracrac also has a cantilever add on to help protect that massive pano if you are getting that with a crew. You will need access to stake pockets with the tracrac. I believe all Bakflip covers provide stake pocket access and retrax has stake pocket cutouts in the rail of their cover that allow access to the stake pockets. Retrax website does not show cutouts available for a 5.5 bed but I emailed them and they said they are available.

The biggest downside of the tracrac is the size of their rails, see pic. And that the rack portion only comes powder coat grey.

Bakflip has just realeased the mx4 with a matte finish. This may or may not help with keeping it from looking beat up. Unfortunately they only make the matte finish with the aluminum panels and not the fiber (more durable) ones.

Tracrac is also part of Thule so I think the rack accessories are more robust.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the best hard back flip cover is? One that does not fad over time, or leak?

Jhillen50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some different Tonneau cover suggestions. I would like something that is hard and durable, but also be able to fold or roll it up to have full use of the bed.

I currently have a Truxedo Lo-Pro cover which as been great, but I think it's time for something different.

Thanks.

consolidated

Reaction score
I've had two Bakflip covers, a Bak Roll-X and a Retrax. Love the Retrax over the Bak products. The flip covers that require a bungeee were less useful and secure to me. The Retrax is another level of product IMO. The Bak Roll-X was fine, but again hard to use in a partially open position. The Retrax cannister takes up space, but so did the others when folded or rolled, but less so. The Bakflip type blocking the rear window was unacceptable once I had better...but people seem to love them.