GEN 2 Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeachTeeth

Reaction score
Looking for matte black, smooth looking tonneau.
  • I don't like the one piece.
  • I do like the covers that allow you to leave part of the cover open in different locking positions (sports coach).
  • I offroad almost daily on the beach, sturdy with limited rattling is important.
  • We (unfortunately) don't get rain or snow in CA, but most mornings we have dew/fog, so keeping cargo dry would be nice.
  • I don't need electric, but locking is nice, though I understand many of the current covers will not open when the tailgate is up (good touch)

Any advice appreciated.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My truck will finally be here around the 20th, any vendors have a great deal on a Revolver X4?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

PM incoming.

Looking for matte black, smooth looking tonneau.
  • I don't like the one piece.
  • I do like the covers that allow you to leave part of the cover open in different locking positions (sports coach).
  • I offroad almost daily on the beach, sturdy with limited rattling is important.
  • We (unfortunately) don't get rain or snow in CA, but most mornings we have dew/fog, so keeping cargo dry would be nice.
  • I don't need electric, but locking is nice, though I understand many of the current covers will not open when the tailgate is up (good touch)

Any advice appreciated.

Would you like rolling or folding?

BeachTeeth

Reaction score
PM incoming.

Would you like rolling or folding?

I've never had a tonneau cover on any of my previous trucks. The research I've done on this board and other places lead me to believe that:

*Rolling takes the least amount of bed space, but there can be water issues with the venting. Also not as strong as folding.
*Folding takes more cab space, but is stronger and easier to open/close.

We don't get too much rain here on the Central Coast of CA. I'm really open either way.... Thank you

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've never had a tonneau cover on any of my previous trucks. The research I've done on this board and other places lead me to believe that:

*Rolling takes the least amount of bed space, but there can be water issues with the venting. Also not as strong as folding.

*Folding takes more cab space, but is stronger and easier to open/close.

We don't get too much rain here on the Central Coast of CA. I'm really open either way.... Thank you

Well, depending on which route you go, rolling may take more space.

If you go with a rolling cover like the Bak Revolver X4, it will up top along the bed rails and won’t take up much space.

If you go with a rolling cover like the Retrax Pro MX, you’ll lose bed space due the canister, but it’s a very strong cover.

Folding covers like the Bak MX4 fold up against the glass and bed space loss is minimal, but you will lose visibility when out of your back window.

Hope this helps clarify everything. Please let me know if you’d like a quote on any of the above options or if you’d like any additional info!

Verruckt

Reaction score
Bought a Retrax from a lady on craigslist to put on my 2011 Rap for a whopping $120. Bought a 2017 Rap, transferred it to the new truck, works great for that one too, my personal Deal of the Decade.

Wait, a Retrax from a 2011 works on the Gen 2?

If so that is awesome - I have one on my Gen 1 and picking up my Gen 2 this weekend. Was freaking out of the cost of a new one.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, a Retrax from a 2011 works on the Gen 2?

If so that is awesome - I have one on my Gen 1 and picking up my Gen 2 this weekend. Was freaking out of the cost of a new one.

Only had to do very minor trimming on the underside rail so that the tailgate could close easily without any binding. And that was only after it was linexed so they probably sprayed it a little heavy up top.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

We’ve got big savings on Bak, Retrax, Truxedo, and more now through 10/31.

Let us know if we can help get you set up!