To those considering a first generation raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sportyworty

Reaction score
I put 108K on a new Tri White Metallic 2010 Lariat Supercrew with the 5.4. It was a great trouble free truck and the low rpm torque was enough for my single car haulers. The mileage empty around town was pretty bad like 12-13 and towing average around 11. Now empty on the freeway on a long run 18’s.
I replaced it with a used 2014 STX Sport SuperCab with the 5.0 in 2019. The mileage was an improvement by 3-4 mpg on average and the higher rpm surprisingly provided a nice torque curve without guzzling while towing. In my experience the Raptor with 6.2 is comparable to a same generation F150 with 5.4 with regards to mileage. The 5.4 has been around since 1969 and a proven great reliable foundation that sucks fuel especially in a heavy truck or when loaded/towing. I can believe it Ratty but you are still having fun between fill ups !!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put 108K on a new Tri White Metallic 2010 Lariat Supercrew with the 5.4. It was a great trouble free truck and the low rpm torque was enough for my single car haulers. The mileage empty around town was pretty bad like 12-13 and towing average around 11. Now empty on the freeway on a long run 18’s.
I replaced it with a used 2014 STX Sport SuperCab with the 5.0 in 2019. The mileage was an improvement by 3-4 mpg on average and the higher rpm surprisingly provided a nice torque curve without guzzling while towing. In my experience the Raptor with 6.2 is comparable to a same generation F150 with 5.4 with regards to mileage. The 5.4 has been around since 1969 and a proven great reliable foundation that sucks fuel especially in a heavy truck or when loaded/towing. I can believe it Ratty but you are still having fun between fill ups !!
1969?? That would have been quite a run lol, but the 5.4 actually came out in 1997.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was Going to let that one slide..... Was going to say Cleveland or Windsor? LOL These were both 351 CI 5.7 L and some change. Completely different motors by the way. (Cleaveland and Windsor)

Last edited:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
351cubic inch =5.751859 L not chevy not ford...That is what it equals.
I wasn't aware I had to spell out the change. My Bad .....I had to puttheGoogleonit.

Last edited:

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was Going to let that one slide..... Was going to say Cleveland or Windsor? LOL These were both 351 CI 5.7 L and some change. Completely different motors by the way. (Cleaveland and Windsor)
And now who remembers which has the 2 barrel and which has the 4 barrel carb lol?

Ehamann86

Reaction score
For a thread about common issues with these trucks, this turned into 3 pages of fuel mileage arguements, and a page about some video... BUT for future searchers....

ive had my 2012 for 10years now, it has 275k miles.

i usually get at least 50k+ miles out of a set of brakes, got 120kmiles out of one set when i traveled for work :eek:

driving up and down a river got my computer wet and it died a week later needing a new PCM. so id keep it out of the 36"+ deep water

ive rebuilt the shocks multiple times. they claim every 50k miles its required, and every tine i do it, they were very much ready, so plan on that if you drive hard

done multiple trans flushes at 70-80k mile intervals, and trans still goes like the day i bought it

Ive changed one coil pack at like 260k miles. you could see it arcing out in the dark so it was easy to diagnose. but with the double plug setup, it never misfired or put up a code. the only way i knew sonething was off is you could hear the zap of the arc going to ground. i change the plugs every 100-120k miles and they always look like brand new, the gap is even only opened by like .003".... which is amazing.

at 250k miles rebuild the rear end because a rust hole in the cover drained my fluid before i caught it. Just started to lose my bearings, so i replaced every single component.... BUT for that kind of mileage, and doing burnouts and such the spiders were in good shape. The locker looked like brand new, basically everything was in excellent shape for that mileage. With new ring and pinion, complete carrier, and all bearings its ready for another 250k miles!!

doing hard off roading ive broken the front axle housing. its only aluminum, so if it makes contact with a large enough rock, mine snapped the pass. side tube off the pumkin lol

If your on a pile of brush from a logging operation, watch out.... ive had a 2 or 3" dia stick poke up towards my engine and take out the oil cooler where the oil filter screws on

I could go on and on.... BUT i will say the vast majority of problems ive had were from me driving off road and being a little harder than its purpose. staying on the tar i bet this truck would never have a single issue in the 275k miles ive run... just fluid changes and brakes. dont know much at all about the engine cuz ive never had to touch it.

OH, and if you end up with the truck on its side for a few hours untill help arrives.... it wont even leak a drop of fluid out of anything! tip it back over and keep driving hard!