To those considering a first generation raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, you are seriously considering a first gen for SVT Raptor. Mine is a 2013. There some common things to consider - at least from my file of receipts. Number one - and you know this. Early Raptors get a real world MPG of 9.5 to 11.8 MPG. If you have added an aftermarket tune profile...that means the gas in premium/super grade...not cheaper regular unleaded. Then, realize that the truck weighs over 6.000 pounds. This results in me only getting 18,000 miles between complete brake jobs. And trust me, after getting even slightly airborne....expect regular alignments. A lot of these early 1st gen Raptors can have some ghosts in the complex electrical system. This includes some pricy things like ECM, BCM and PCM modules. Those Foxx Shocks don't last forever either. I have gotten great rebuilt Foxx units from Texas Shock Works. Like I said, these are on the heavy side for a desert racing beast. Suck it up. I have owned BMW's, Audi's and 3 restored Mach ! Mustangs....The Raptor is so much more satisfying and fun to drive than any of them.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And if at all possible, get transmission & engine oil samples to a legit test lab like Blackstone Laboratories. Years ago I was able to determine my '95 Broncos' 5.7 was about to seize up while my '96 was still in great shape. So I kept the '96 and sold the '95. Later, when I got a 2012 3.5 ecoboost I confirmed that both the motor & trans were fine; and reliable since then. My 2011 6.2L Raptor was tested and both the engine & diff oil showed only normal wear, but the 6r80 had crazy high metal particles in it. $2500 later, it's ready to reinstall. The seller was 450 miles from here, and I was too excited to do the smart thing... so I rolled the dice and bought it immediately. By the time the lab report was done it was too late.

Attachments

• 20230415_145336.jpg
    20230415_145336.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 33

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you are seriously considering a first gen for SVT Raptor. Mine is a 2013. There some common things to consider - at least from my file of receipts. Number one - and you know this. Early Raptors get a real world MPG of 9.5 to 11.8 MPG. If you have added an aftermarket tune profile...that means the gas in premium/super grade...not cheaper regular unleaded. Then, realize that the truck weighs over 6.000 pounds. This results in me only getting 18,000 miles between complete brake jobs. And trust me, after getting even slightly airborne....expect regular alignments. A lot of these early 1st gen Raptors can have some ghosts in the complex electrical system. This includes some pricy things like ECM, BCM and PCM modules. Those Foxx Shocks don't last forever either. I have gotten great rebuilt Foxx units from Texas Shock Works. Like I said, these are on the heavy side for a desert racing beast. Suck it up. I have owned BMW's, Audi's and 3 restored Mach ! Mustangs....The Raptor is so much more satisfying and fun to drive than any of them.
Dont speak for all 1st Gen's! My '14 gets that milage pulling my 3K lb boat. Supercharged and still get over 16mpg on highway.

R,
HAP

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I kinda took the OP as.....This Gi-Gi cupcake has cream cheese icing and taste Horrible. You don't want to eat one....They might cause cancer. I know..... I have had 4 of them BUT trust me.....They're Horrible.;)

I also get 14.5 Ish There horrible.

Last edited:

Sportyworty

Reaction score
I have never got under 13 mpg and it’s typically 14-15 which surprised me after reading the countless threads on the Gen 1. Rarely does the truck go over 65 mph and I avoid freeways so if you aren’t in a lot of stop and go and keep the RPM under 2K these trucks idle up the grades effortlessly with little shifting. Never in a hurry anymore not worth it saves minutes only in reality. I can get 18 on freeway run done it !

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Gas mileage really depends on how and where you drive. I average 11.5 in town and can easily get 16 on highway if I don't overdue the gas pedal (which is hard to do in a V8 Raptor). As far as brakes go all I can say is I have 19,200 miles on mine and original brakes with a lot of pad left. If you buy a 10-year-old stock Raptor or older and plan on driving the hell out of it Baja style or jumping it like a dirt bike you better have a bottomless wallet.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
" Early Raptors get a real world MPG of 9.5 to 11.8 MPG."

Rubbish. I have nearly 100,000 miles on my GEN1, and I have gotten 14.8 to 15.5 mpg. It's a very good vehicle with an excellent engine, but it's not for every truck owner. After all it is a 6,000+ pound truck with aerodynamics only a little better than a brick designed unapologetically to perform off-road at high speeds. Given that, MPG shouldn't even be a matter of discussion because efficiency was not what the truck was designed to excel at.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" Early Raptors get a real world MPG of 9.5 to 11.8 MPG."

Rubbish. I have nearly 100,000 miles on my GEN1, and I have gotten 14.8 to 15.5 mpg. It's a very good vehicle with an excellent engine, but it's not for every truck owner. After all it is a 6,000+ pound truck with aerodynamics only a little better than a brick designed unapologetically to perform off-road at high speeds. Given that, MPG shouldn't even be a matter of discussion because efficiency was not what the truck was designed to excel at.

i think if im really, really careful, i can squeeze out 11 mpg on my lightning, otherwise i usually get 7-9mpg, you gen juan owners are lucky having prius mpg