To Roush or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GutweinMCP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a few lines on some nice low mileage used ones, if that's something you would be interested in. Depending on what you are specifically looking for. Also, Skillman Performance Ford has a slew of Roush Raptors, they are one of the biggest Roush dealers in the nation.

Last edited:

DucatiKing1

Reaction score
I am a first time Ford and Raptor and Roush owner and couldn't imagine driving this heavy of a vehicle without the added power.

My feedback after 8,500 miles:
1. The Roush exhaust is aggressive and sounds great outside the cab but drones too much inside the cab. Typical of "resonator delete" cat back exhaust systems. Forget about using your phone with Bluetooth and bring some Advil. I sold it and picked up the Ford Racing exhaust with similar sound and no drone.
2. The truck has mysteriously shut off on two occasions while driving and had to wrestle it to the shoulder. Good thing no one was in the way. The system recorded the event but the dealer could not recreate so nothing has been done.
3. The Roush tune is conservative and seems to soften before each shift to save the transmission. It also "surges" a little throughout the rpm range. Boost seems to be consistent. I am sure its to preserve the 3 year/36k mile warranty. Love the acceleration regardless.
4. Severe wheel hop in first gear and a little in second on wet or dry pavement. Deaver springs should solve the axle wrap problem but haven't purchased them yet. Should have come standard.
5. The back lit boost gage mounted in the vent cannot be dimmed and is significantly brighter than the rest of the dash lighting. Would be nice to tie into dash lighting control.

Still love the truck and realize that its not as refined as my M3... which is ok.

sombra

Reaction score
I am a first time Ford and Raptor and Roush owner and couldn't imagine driving this heavy of a vehicle without the added power.

My feedback after 8,500 miles:
1. The Roush exhaust is aggressive and sounds great outside the cab but drones too much inside the cab. Typical of "resonator delete" cat back exhaust systems. Forget about using your phone with Bluetooth and bring some Advil. I sold it and picked up the Ford Racing exhaust with similar sound and no drone.
2. The truck has mysteriously shut off on two occasions while driving and had to wrestle it to the shoulder. Good thing no one was in the way. The system recorded the event but the dealer could not recreate so nothing has been done.
3. The Roush tune is conservative and seems to soften before each shift to save the transmission. It also "surges" a little throughout the rpm range. Boost seems to be consistent. I am sure its to preserve the 3 year/36k mile warranty. Love the acceleration regardless.
4. Severe wheel hop in first gear and a little in second on wet or dry pavement. Deaver springs should solve the axle wrap problem but haven't purchased them yet. Should have come standard.
5. The back lit boost gage mounted in the vent cannot be dimmed and is significantly brighter than the rest of the dash lighting. Would be nice to tie into dash lighting control.

Still love the truck and realize that its not as refined as my M3... which is ok.

If you get the Roush supercharger but keep the factory exhaust does it still drone loudly in the cab?

And it sounds like a little tint on the boost gauge would help cut down the brightness.

DucatiKing1

Reaction score
If you get the Roush supercharger but keep the factory exhaust does it still drone loudly in the cab?

And it sounds like a little tint on the boost gauge would help cut down the brightness.

The OEM stock exhaust will not drone. Your truck will sound the same as stock with a supercharger installed. The only difference you will hear is the "whine" of the impellers as you get into positive boost.

sombra

Reaction score
The OEM stock exhaust will not drone. Your truck will sound the same as stock with a supercharger installed. The only difference you will hear is the "whine" of the impellers as you get into positive boost.

Ok, thanks

roush14

Reaction score
I LOVE my Roush, haven't had any problems with it and shes a blast. Escpecially on the raptor runs.

Bmw91m5

Reaction score
Purchased new 2013 factory Roush January 2013 and put 32,000 miles on it so far nothing but oil changes, rotations and many smiles....I do think the exhaust is a bit loud but makes the redneck in me happy....would not hesitate to purchase again...

39Mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading these there is no value in owning the Roush Raptor over a stock one its name only. When I got my Raptor I considered doing a Shelby Raptor but the cost didn't make any sense and I see no future value in a Shelby or Roush Raptor besides I can build a better truck for a lot less money and last time I checked what do Roush and Shelby know about off-roading? I'm not knocking either if that is what you have great and have fun but I wouldn't be buying one or the other based on future value. Just drive the hell out of it