GEN 1 to mod or not to mod

to mod or not to mod

• Send it (mod)

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Save it (dont)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2010 Gen 1 that is completely stock how it would've shipped when it was bought in May of 2010.

options include;
sunroof
reverse camera
My Ford Touch with Sony Sound
dual automatic climate control
heated seats
dual power seats with 10 way driver seat and memory features
Tuxedo Black
BedSide Decals

that said, the question while dorky as it may sound, the orange and black 2010 raptors are the ones we all saw at SEMA and fell in love with in their following marketing schemes. So for that sake, and the fact that these trucks are becoming increasingly rare to find stock and in good health, should i keep it stock or modify it, and buy another one to "collect" later on down the road.

pretty odd question, but wanted to see where everyone lands on this one, my curiosity was getting the better of me, and i'm starting to get mod fever but half of me wants to keep it stock, or at the very least easily reverted back to stock.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2010 Gen 1 that is completely stock how it would've shipped when it was bought in May of 2010.

options include;
sunroof
reverse camera
My Ford Touch with Sony Sound
dual automatic climate control
heated seats
dual power seats with 10 way driver seat and memory features
Tuxedo Black
BedSide Decals

that said, the question while dorky as it may sound, the orange and black 2010 raptors are the ones we all saw at SEMA and fell in love with in their following marketing schemes. So for that sake, and the fact that these trucks are becoming increasingly rare to find stock and in good health, should i keep it stock or modify it, and buy another one to "collect" later on down the road.

pretty odd question, but wanted to see where everyone lands on this one, my curiosity was getting the better of me, and i'm starting to get mod fever but half of me wants to keep it stock, or at the very least easily reverted back to stock.

Keeping my Whippled Shelby Gen 1 as stock as I can,only added a Tonneau Cover and Rigid lights in bumper,both of which can be taken off.So,why not keep THIS one to "Collect" if its in great condition,and buy one to mod down the road...Would think it will be easier and cheaper to find one to "mod" 5 years down the road than a mint stock one...
Some might feel mine isnt "stock" since its been Super-Charged,but it was a factory Mod done at the Shelby Factory....so..only time will tell if it goes up in value....and do I care...HELL NO...cause they will have to pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel before I'm letting go of this Beast.>!!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personal opinion here.

Do what YOU like with the truck. Are you typically a collector of things as in admire in pristine condition, drive for enjoyment, or a combination?

I personally love turning the wrench on my own vehicles and modding them makes them my own. Just like everyone I have mods I love and ones I can’t stand so others may not like the way my truck goes.

If you would have asked me 5 years ago if I would take this truck (I didn’t own it then by the way) offroad I would have said you are crazy. The detailing to clean all of the dirt, what if it gets scratched, etc. Now I can’t imagine a scenario where I don’t get to take it offroad. I have drilled holes in my bed for various items, and I am leaning toward a bypass rack with large holes in the bed. Side note I live in Ohio and they salt a fair amount around here.

I still enjoy cleaning the truck and making look nice. I like getting it cleaned up to drive to dinner on the weekends. My truck is a 14 with nearly 43,000 miles on it and I don’t daily drive it.

Your call on your truck though.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lets ask a couple questions first...
1. What do you do with it? Is it a daily, a weekender or a desert truck that sees off-road?
2. What mods are you thinking about. Bolt on stuff, or back halfing the truck?
3. If you are trying to preserve this to be collectible, you have 10 more years and too many miles
4. Do you want to do mods?
5. Its a cool first year truck, but we haven't seen them bring big money yet.

For me, I would not hesitate to do mods, but I use mine off-road and added things that I felt improved the truck. If you are planning to keep it, you may like it even more with fresh new upgraded suspension, I'm sure the 10 year old stuff is due for a refresh..lol
You can always put the original stuff back on if that's important to someone down the road.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have fun with it, get the most pleasure out of the truck you possibly can. Most mods are reversible; Just stockpile your OE parts if your worried about it.

OP
OP
KTag98

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets ask a couple questions first...
1. What do you do with it? Is it a daily, a weekender or a desert truck that sees off-road?
2. What mods are you thinking about. Bolt on stuff, or back halfing the truck?
3. If you are trying to preserve this to be collectible, you have 10 more years and too many miles
4. Do you want to do mods?
5. Its a cool first year truck, but we haven't seen them bring big money yet.

For me, I would not hesitate to do mods, but I use mine off-road and added things that I felt improved the truck. If you are planning to keep it, you may like it even more with fresh new upgraded suspension, I'm sure the 10 year old stuff is due for a refresh..lol
You can always put the original stuff back on if that's important to someone down the road.

for right now its being daily driven, while my 04 FX4 is being finished up (new engine, tranny, and suspension parts) - after that the Raptor will be my weekend warrior that will hopefully see some dirt. i havent off roaded it much since i bought it a year ago, cause the shocks need a rebuild, but my other truck kept going down, so i needed the raptor to get around in.

Mods would at first be Corsa intake with Donaldson filter, corsa/magnaflow exhaust, icon UCA etc. "accentuating" mods, but i have also considered more in depth mods like a bed rack, 4-link, or fox 3.0's etc.

I guess I should clarify. Keeping it stock wouldn’t be so much for resale value or collectability from the point of it selling for big $$ but the fact that it’s a nostalgia machine for me. I was in love with these things from when I first saw them. I’m just concerned that modding it too much might make it loose that ‘mystique’ or something. Raptors are very rare around here and have been since they came out.

I know I know. I’m probably just being too emotional about a machine but, I digress.

but this is exactly why im posting here, different views on things seem to present a clearer answer, at least for me.

I'm leaning more towards a mild build on this one, and later on try to find a molten orange supercab to keep as the more "collectable" one, but then again, if im not careful i'm gonna have a driveway full of like 5 raptors, cause i seem to love them all lol

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you can keep that nostalgia alive, and still upgrade a few things. If the shocks are due for a rebuild, that's the perfect time to upgrade to 3.0's. It can be done without cutting up the truck. The only people that would really know are you and other Gen 1 guys. One of the biggest improvements I made was going to Deavers and 3.0's all around.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have fun and mod it. Start off small with items that can be reverted to stock. Maybe hold off on frame cut bumpers or anything that requires cutting or PITA to revert back if you don't like it.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I say MOD AWAY! That way it will make my 2010 completely stock 6.2 molten orange with only 18,000 miles garage queen still with original tires that much more rare and harder to find truck. :party36:

OP
OP
KTag98

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say MOD AWAY! That way it will make my 2010 completely stock 6.2 molten orange with only 18,000 miles garage queen still with original tires that much more rare and harder to find truck. :party36:
You have a real jewel there! Very rare!