To buy, or not to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinlinemoto

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am looking to buy a new "family oriented" truck as per my wifes request. I currently have a 1963 ford econoline pickup that I restored, modified, and love to death. The only things I dont like about it is I have little traction in the rain, none in the snow, it cant go off road, I only have one other seat, and neither seat has seat belts, and it sucks on gas. Its no family car.
Anyway, I am looking at the Raptor for sure, as I can take it dirtbiking in the dunes or in the mountains and have as much fun getting there as I do riding, but Im not sure if I can justify buying it when they get mileage as bad as my 50 year old truck! What are you guys actually getting for fuel economy numbers? With gas prices getting near $4/gal in seattle, its not gonna be easy for me.
I know you are all biased towards the raptor, (and for good reason!) but for my light duty offroad needs, should I be leaning towards the cheaper, better fuel economy f150's? I dont have much money, and I dont want to buy a truck that will bankrupt me, but damn that truck is awesome! If somebody could give me their oppinions on my situation I would be very happy.
Thanks!

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Gas Mileage

Hey everyone,
I am looking to buy a new "family oriented" truck as per my wifes request. I currently have a 1963 ford econoline pickup that I restored, modified, and love to death. The only things I dont like about it is I have little traction in the rain, none in the snow, it cant go off road, I only have one other seat, and neither seat has seat belts, and it sucks on gas. Its no family car.
Anyway, I am looking at the Raptor for sure, as I can take it dirtbiking in the dunes or in the mountains and have as much fun getting there as I do riding, but Im not sure if I can justify buying it when they get mileage as bad as my 50 year old truck! What are you guys actually getting for fuel economy numbers? With gas prices getting near $4/gal in seattle, its not gonna be easy for me.
I know you are all biased towards the raptor, (and for good reason!) but for my light duty offroad needs, should I be leaning towards the cheaper, better fuel economy f150's? I dont have much money, and I dont want to buy a truck that will bankrupt me, but damn that truck is awesome! If somebody could give me their oppinions on my situation I would be very happy.
Thanks!

Gas mileage is about as bad as it gets in a pickup truck! The Raptor made the dirty dozen for that reason. It's the most expensive 4x4 you can buy so if money is tight I'd go with the F150!

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
The new standard f150 with the 5.0 would be the best choice. The power is great, plus you get better gas mileage. You can still do some mild off-road stuff in that too.

OP
OP
T

twinlinemoto

Reaction score
Alright, I was hoping it was going to be somewhat close so I could convince my wife that this is the best truck for us, dammit!
Is it worth it to get the FX4? I know the interiors are similar, which I like, and the body style is a little more agressive than your average f150. Does it do anything more special than an stx or any other 4wd f150?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
if you have to think about it, this was the worst place you could have come to ask :rofl: . if not an eco boost f-150 maybe hunt down a lightly used 2010 with 5.4?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
In reality compared to other full sized trucks the mileage is not that bad. My 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 only gets about 14mpg in town in real world driving. That is barely better than the Raptor. If the MPG's are a make or break for you look at the new F150 with the Eco-Boost motor. That mpg will win the wife over.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
With the 5.4 that Bird mentioned you can also use E85 which will be a little better on your pocket book but not much.
You should be able to find some great deals out there on them, yes it's
used but cheaper better gas millage then the 6.2 and it's still a RAPTOR.
WELCOME!:)

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I say go for the raptor if you want. Only thing is I would find a used 2010 with 5.4 might not have as much power as 6.2 but mileage is slightly better. maybe 100-150 more month then standard f-150. All of which are nice vehicles. My 10 is stock and I average 14-16mpg between town and highway travel. Everyone I know who has newer f-150 with 5.4 average about the same mileage as well. This place everyone does love there raptor. They also love there mods but with a stock 2010 with 5.4 around 37k price is what mine is at on nadaguides loaded with everything except nav and tailgate step not much difference in price then standard f-150 and 5.0 don't get any better mileage then 5.4. One person I know with 6.2 superduty averages 15-16MPG I say go for raptor if you can afford it. but if not a standard f-150 would be great too