TMX Test Drive – Shock Comparison between Fox and Icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually running NTM's old Icon fronts and it is night and day the driving the two of us do. I drive 80% street then unleash like a madman on the trails. There is very little in between for me so I am appreciating the Icons like I never thought I would. I can see where NTM's problems were there is a sweet speed spot for the icons off road and prior to hitting it they are stiff. Once the speed is hit they are like butter well still holding firm to the trail. They are also very stable on the street with no sway-bar where after driving fox trucks you know why the sway-bar stays on. I am running stock rears which is a very big no-no as I have very little control in the back compared to the front. I will have the 3.0 rears and nationals shortly though and problem will be solved.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say my Icon's are stiffer on the street but nothing S setting and a few PSI out of the tires doesn't fix. Offroad they're amazing. Which goes to each person's idea of "comfortable" is different.

On our Carson run, tbone's Girlfriend began not feeling well so she rode with me. Ride for her was night and day. She ended up falling asleep. Although she was rudely awakened when we caught some air lol.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.0's. I went with Icon because of their support of the Raptor community compared to the others.

Last edited:

ktm505sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say my Icon's are stiffer on the street but nothing S setting and a few PSI out of the tires doesn't fix. Offroad they're amazing. Which goes to each person's idea of "comfortable" is different.

On our Carson run, tbone's Girlfriend began not feeling well so she rode with me. Ride for her was night and day. She ended up falling asleep. Although she was rudely awakened when we caught some air lol.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.0's. I went with Icon because of their support of the Raptor community compared to the others.

Sounds good, the problem with those suspension valving is that they require speed in order to get smoother.
Will be perfect if the suspension at low speed trails were smoother as hi speed desert run

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

We need to try the fox 3.0 DSC with hi speed and low speed adjustment.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me, it's plenty smooth at low speed. But that's just me.

I'm all for everyone having an opinion on what is ideal for them because we're not all the same. Maybe Fox's would be more comfortable on the street with my setup but I don't know that. I do know Icon's perform well on and offroad for me and they spend a lot of time and money supporting our community. Good enough for me.

ktm505sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother in law bought a stage 5 suspension kit for his tundra i think it is a 2.5 body, i will take a look to that suspension and test them, will see i i decide for a 3.0 for my raptor
zy9evaqa.jpg

Last edited:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it's plenty smooth at low speed. But that's just me.

I'm all for everyone having an opinion on what is ideal for them because we're not all the same. Maybe Fox's would be more comfortable on the street with my setup but I don't know that. I do know Icon's perform well on and offroad for me and they spend a lot of time and money supporting our community. Good enough for me.

It depends on your terrain more than personal viewpoint.
You could bring your truck to my neck of the woods, doing the driving I do, and see an issue.
The digressive damping, high spring rate, and high damping at ride height is less than awesome on small sharp stuff. It creates short lived, high velocity shaft speeds. Damn near shakes the truck apart on long washboard sections, way worse than stock...
You have to get the icons moving, using more travel to smooth them out. Quite the nature of digressive damping. They're great once you are working them hard.
Hell, when you take the sway bar off and its got less body roll than the stock shocks with the sway bar on, you know there's very little compliance at ride height.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kanakry; There is a reason Fox is not putting quick adjustments on shocks.[/QUOTE said:
I have the 3.0 fox rear shocks with rebound and compression adjusters,is this a different type of adjustment than the one you are referring to? One thing I have not seen on the forum is the discussion of the settings different users prefer.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

I think the spring rate of the fox 3.0s is 550 does anyone know what the rate of the icons springs are?

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I played with the adjustments on my fox 3.0 a lot, however in he end it was Corey under my truck for 60 minutes and a run around the track to test and they are perfectly dialed in. I wrote down all the settings just in case someone monkeys with them. My only issue was going with the standard leafs on my scab. With the weight now in the back, I am just crushing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are you referring to the adjustments on the rears only or did he adjust the front in the field as well?

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.0 fox rear shocks with rebound and compression adjusters,is this a different type of adjustment than the one you are referring to? One thing I have not seen on the forum is the discussion of the settings different users prefer.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

I think the spring rate of the fox 3.0s is 550 does anyone know what the rate of the icons springs are?

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Are you referring to the adjustments on the rears only or did he adjust the front in the field as well?

The icons are up around 650-700 I believe.
Corey adjusted his front bypasses as well. Ducati is running the dual front setup from RPG. With it the coilover is revalved much lighter to allow the secondary external bypass, that has the same adjustments available that your rears do, to do most of the damping and therefore tuning.

You don't see a lot of discussion on rear damper setting because it's very specific to each truck. How much weight in the bed, wheelbase, tire size and pressures, type of spring, bump stop type, etc. all play a factor.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The icons are up around 650-700 I believe.
Corey adjusted his front bypasses as well.

when you mention the front adjustments do you mean just the secondary shock not the coil over on the front. I thought that the coil over would have to be removed and opened up. thanks in advance