TMX Test Drive – Shock Comparison between Fox and Icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have run these trucks quite a bit, and all three have subtle nuances that are noticeable. I think each owner would be partial to the setup he has, but that said, the king truck with the deaver springs performs very well. It is too bad it wasn't available for Raptoberfest, but will be at TRR 14. I will say that on light bumps or uneven terrain, the Kings are bumpy, almost like they are irritated. When you get into high speed, high compression type stuff, they shine. So much has to do with the settings on all three. The ability to adjust the king and icon has always been a selling point.

Conclusion: If you are looking for the "perfect" suspension before you make a decision, you won't find it. None of them are great at everything. You have to pick the one that is either best at what aspect you want it for based on your driving style and terrain, or shoot for middle of the road across the board. Nothing wrong with either approach. That's why the first question we ask you is always "what type of terrain do you mostly get into".

Thanks for the writeup Will. Kings in April....

Texas Motorworx
214-814-0869
[email protected]

Would still like an unbias, 3rd person to drive all 3 at TRR14 and give a nice little report. Preferably someone who has a stock setup. Just saying. :)

But I stick to my statement and the statement of others, I doubt you can really go wrong with any of them. Just tweak them to your needs.

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fronts:

20 compression / 20 rebound

i'm at 7 threads on preload, but going to 3 on drivers / 4 on passenger when I get it aligned next week.

rears:

2 1/4 turns on blue long and short
3 on red

I have a SCREW, massive chase rack, two 37's in rack, Powertank , jack and tools. Probably 700 lbs. the 16 clicks is working for me.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At TRR Raptoberfest I ran the dual second 20/20 on the front as well, but after I get new and improved "spindle knuckles" (pirate lol) Corey says might try firming it up a bit more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup Will. Kings in April....

Would still like an unbias, 3rd person to drive all 3 at TRR14 and give a nice little report. Preferably someone who has a stock setup. Just saying. :)
I think that is what is being advocated here. I would be willing to do it again at TRR with all three trucks.

ktm505sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differences between the RPG fox's and the icons is more apparent at normal driving speeds off road.
At high speed, they both kick ass. The fox's droop out quicker for a bit more control, but the icons take a massive front hit (endo !) a bit better.
At lower speeds, the digressive damping of the icons and high spring rate becomes painfully obvious on washboard and choppy sections. Not as good of an offroad daily driver, but perhaps better if all your daily driving is on high quality paved roads. There is lots more damping happening at ride height with the icons vs the fox's. So less body roll and more road "feel".

Hey what about if you turn all the way the knob to the S, will you still get the harsh feeling with the icons at low speed driving?

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Out of the 2 guys in HARO that have them all I hear is them talking about how they need to adjust them...and then never do!

I love the idea of adjustability, I just don't think that I would actually ever use it.

The idea is good whenever you have a good revalving on your suspension, the atv use dial in hi speed low speed and rebound. if you revalve your elka PEP or fox pretty good for your wheight and driving style, is like riding in clouds, but standard valving is very difficult to get used to.

The guys from RPG dont use the fox shock as they come from the factory, they revalve the internals for a better valving and final touch turns the rebound and comp adjustment, but a stock fox suspension run like crap. It needs revalving

I think Those guys from icons, RPG you name it, should give you a order form before you buy the suspension, for your needs and driving style.
Like this
yjuqezu3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Hey what about if you turn all the way the knob to the S, will you still get the harsh feeling with the icons at low speed driving?
You might have missed ntm's thread discussing Fox vs Icon front shocks. He has had a lot of seat time with both. Give it a read.