GEN 2 Tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

54Bravo

Reaction score
What depth do you guys run the stock KO2’s down to? This is my first truck but I usually take my cars to 3-4/32 depth and get new ones. On my last oil change they noted that my tires are getting worn but they’re not that far down. Do you replace them at 5-6/32 on a truck or something? They are getting louder and seemed a bit squirmy in the rain today which does seem different.
If they squirmy and you don't feel comfortable just change them.. Peace of mind in the rain is priceless. my 2 cents

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you got 53k out of stock KO2’s? That’s not driving like you stole it, it’s driving like a DC beltway left lane turtle with the cruise control set at 35mph!

it’s the pedal on the right @Donovan :p

Ayo lol.

Ma hart, Ma Soul was damaged when you accused me of driving like a well oiled liberal in a Prius lol. @smurfslayer

DoJo.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
check out the stealership. No joke. sometimes they’ll price match and others they’re competitive. My local stealership is doing mine, stocker KO2’s, and their price was on par w/ discount tire. I’ve seen them cheaper before but not now. Also doing the alignment and not using an impact wrench to over torque the lugs, so there’s that.

I cringe at cars/trucks in tire shops. yeah, stealerships are not immune to f*ckups, but, my experience has been much better at stealerships. I had a wheel lock screwed up by an impact wrench, no doubt set to max when they drove it on. Lugs needed a breaker bar to get them loose, but the key slots were destroyed. I ended up having to beat a donor socket on and was able to get it loose with a lot of work.

If you do let some tire shop do the work, keep a close eye on them. Most of them are just impacting the lugs off, impacting them back on at full power. They know you likely won’t discover any problems for weeks or months and by then there’s no way you can tie it to them.
My dealer was $15 per tire cheaper than discount tire. Plus I had a bunch of FordPass rewards stocked up. Only managed 30k out of a set of KO2s.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove around on an old set of tires once on a Mustang-10 years old and barely off the wear bars. So I went to pass a landscape truck doing 15 in a 50 MPH zone. The classic Mustang fishtail resulted. We won't even discuss in this house how much that bonehead move cost us. PUSHING OLD OR WORN TIRES IS ONE OF THE STUPIDEST MOVES I'VE EVER DONE!!!