GEN 2 Tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had two sets of KO2s and put a third on before I sold the truck. I got around 22k miles on a set and replaced them at 5-6/32. At 5/32 they start having notable trouble in heavy rain and definitely aren't going to be able to do what they're good at as well.

I recommend attempting a warranty claim with BFG, with the help of your dealer. While in practice it seems normal that KO2s only get 25-30k miles, they're warranties to 50k. The dealer will need to certify the dates and measurements and may need to send BFG the used tires, but BFG will supposedly pay out a significant amount (hundreds) on a successful claim.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OH no, for $1200 get you a set of .....

Shit the name escapes me. Someone help me here. Starts with AT3 or ATW something.

tgrayson

Reaction score
I plan on getting new tires at around 5-6/32s. Currently they are at 10/32s with a little over 33k miles on them - wearing even. I bought my last tires from Discount Tire and they do the rotation and balance every 5k and air pressure checks in Fall and Winter. I plan on staying with the KO2s and will buy from Discount Tire - will look for BFG sale when time is near.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wouldn’t be too concerned about safety. I drove my track car which was on Nitto NT05’s which are basically grooved slicks in the rain and never had any issues. If you want to replace them simply due to a loss of offroad traction, then sure, replace them, but I wouldn’t do it out of worrying about them being safe.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the wear bars in between the tread unless I have a need for better traction coming up, like winter or an offroad trip.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really wouldn’t be too concerned about safety. I drove my track car which was on Nitto NT05’s which are basically grooved slicks in the rain and never had any issues. If you want to replace them simply due to a loss of offroad traction, then sure, replace them, but I wouldn’t do it out of worrying about them being safe.

What.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also plan to go with the stock C-rated KO2s whenever it's time to replace. I'm at almost 15k miles and I'd say I'm probably gonna get 35k out of these before I replace. Just realized, after they get down close to 4-6/32 you could mitigate the risk by always driving in 4A. Will cost you fuel, but I guess you get to choose whether you pay for tires or fuel.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also plan to go with the stock C-rated KO2s whenever it's time to replace. I'm at almost 15k miles and I'd say I'm probably gonna get 35k out of these before I replace. Just realized, after they get down close to 4-6/32 you could mitigate the risk by always driving in 4A. Will cost you fuel, but I guess you get to choose whether you pay for tires or fuel.
4A doesn't help with hydroplaning. The biggest issue for the KO2s when they wear down is that they'll start floating on very wet roads. By 4/32 I don't trust them to be predictable. Though the way I drive I get about 22k miles on a set. If I drove however one drives to get 35k miles I guess there wouldn't be much to worry about. The people getting 40k+ could just as well run drag radials on the road. At 5 under the speed limit any tire or tread depth will work.

MDD

Reaction score
Original set of my KO2's had 6-7/32 at 43k mi. They were getting a bit loud and in 2H on rainy roads could get a little squirreley. I went with discount tire $1200 for the OEM tires since they had a $100 rebate. New KO2s were so quiet and still pretty good with 17k mi on them.