GEN 2 Tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2/32 seems way too low for any vehicle that’s why I’m asking what other people do.
When I was young and dumb, I would drive on bald tires, thought I would be faster, just like NASCAR, LOL. My tires never wear out the tread before I replace them on my Raptor, even though I rotate them frequently, I would replace by 6 at the latest, mine seem to cup a bit and get noisy. Good luck shopping around, shop where you get price matching, if you can.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing all pavement miles with little rain/snow you can run them down further than if you are doing off-road miles. Do whatever keeps you feeling confident.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah that’s kinda where I am. I only drive it 4k miles a year so probably a bit of time. Where do you guys get your KO2’s? I like them enough so I’m gonna stick with the same tire. Just TireRack/DiscountTireDirect and a local installer? I’ve got a good shop I use for nearly all general maintenance like this and brakes. I can take printouts from both and see if they can match or do better, but what do you guys do?
I have had great luck the last 15 years or so, having 2 different local shops beating Tire Rack prices. The one thing I learned a while back about Tire Rack that made me not want to buy from them is that if you are unlucky enough to get a defective new tire, you are kind of screwed. They make you demount the tire and send it back, and then they will make a decision about what they are going to do. Meanwhile your car/truck is sitting without a tire. You deal with someone local and you can stop in and just get it replaced and leave.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check out the stealership. No joke. sometimes they’ll price match and others they’re competitive. My local stealership is doing mine, stocker KO2’s, and their price was on par w/ discount tire. I’ve seen them cheaper before but not now. Also doing the alignment and not using an impact wrench to over torque the lugs, so there’s that.

I cringe at cars/trucks in tire shops. yeah, stealerships are not immune to f*ckups, but, my experience has been much better at stealerships. I had a wheel lock screwed up by an impact wrench, no doubt set to max when they drove it on. Lugs needed a breaker bar to get them loose, but the key slots were destroyed. I ended up having to beat a donor socket on and was able to get it loose with a lot of work.

If you do let some tire shop do the work, keep a close eye on them. Most of them are just impacting the lugs off, impacting them back on at full power. They know you likely won’t discover any problems for weeks or months and by then there’s no way you can tie it to them.
The place I use has a Goodyear sign out front but they’re far from a goofball tire shop like NTB or something. They’re a local chain, something like 6-8 shops in the area using a family name. I’ve had them do all kinds of maintenance and repairs and they do really good work every time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1 DoJo. heat cycling kills tires. So does scores of thousands of miles of wear.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Concur.

I drive this truck like I stole it. So the tires feel it I am sure. I don't even think twice as soon as it rains to put it in 4A and hope the tires are ready.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think these new tires that the Gen 2 use will get 40k miles on average while the Gen 1 could go 60k miles. Like @smurfslayer said the dealership is usually the best spot to purchase these tires from.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concur.

I drive this truck like I stole it. So the tires feel it I am sure. I don't even think twice as soon as it rains to put it in 4A and hope the tires are ready.
I’m pretty easy on it and use 4A in rain or snow as well. I bought the truck with 23k on it and am at 29k now. I’ll give my dealer a call. Discount tire direct has them for $1200/set. Tire rack doesn’t have the C range right now.