GEN 2 Tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What depth do you guys run the stock KO2’s down to? This is my first truck but I usually take my cars to 3-4/32 depth and get new ones. On my last oil change they noted that my tires are getting worn but they’re not that far down. Do you replace them at 5-6/32 on a truck or something? They are getting louder and seemed a bit squirmy in the rain today which does seem different.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They noted them as ‘fair’ between 4-6/32. Maybe it is time.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are wear bars at 2/32. I would probably start looking around for some new ones.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2/32 seems way too low for any vehicle that’s why I’m asking what other people do.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are wear bars at 2/32. I would probably start looking around for some new ones.
I was curious and that’s what it said on the BFG website. Seems pretty scary to me but probably the absolute limit.

I recall reading somewhere 4/32 and tires are done.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why i would start looking for tires. I don't think i would go beyond 4/32.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s kinda where I am. I only drive it 4k miles a year so probably a bit of time. Where do you guys get your KO2’s? I like them enough so I’m gonna stick with the same tire. Just TireRack/DiscountTireDirect and a local installer? I’ve got a good shop I use for nearly all general maintenance like this and brakes. I can take printouts from both and see if they can match or do better, but what do you guys do?

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are at 29k

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
check out the stealership. No joke. sometimes they’ll price match and others they’re competitive. My local stealership is doing mine, stocker KO2’s, and their price was on par w/ discount tire. I’ve seen them cheaper before but not now. Also doing the alignment and not using an impact wrench to over torque the lugs, so there’s that.

I cringe at cars/trucks in tire shops. yeah, stealerships are not immune to f*ckups, but, my experience has been much better at stealerships. I had a wheel lock screwed up by an impact wrench, no doubt set to max when they drove it on. Lugs needed a breaker bar to get them loose, but the key slots were destroyed. I ended up having to beat a donor socket on and was able to get it loose with a lot of work.

If you do let some tire shop do the work, keep a close eye on them. Most of them are just impacting the lugs off, impacting them back on at full power. They know you likely won’t discover any problems for weeks or months and by then there’s no way you can tie it to them.