Tire replacement time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason to do this. Most shops only care if you are running the beadlocks as actual bedlocks, not a beauty ring.
Can they mount and dismount without removing the beauty ring? I was more concerned about some tire monkey scraping them up or damaging the bolts if they need to be removed.

BigBlue20

Reaction score
Can they mount and dismount without removing the beauty ring? I was more concerned about some tire monkey scraping them up or damaging the bolts if they need to be removed.
That’s a rather condescending thing to call a guy that’s going to do a job for you. Also a gross generalization. Must feel good to be that high and mighty!

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a rather condescending thing to call a guy that’s going to do a job for you. Also a gross generalization. Must feel good to be that high and mighty!
Yeah, you are right. I’ve had 5 wheels damaged at the hands of tire technicians, left a sour taste in my mouth.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend removing beauty ring or having the tire shop do it. The beauty ring sits quite a bit above the the actual bead of the tire.

The first one of mine I did (2020 bead lock capable wheel) the "spokes" on the beauty ring damaged the plastic guide piece on the tire machine.

Many of the guides are aluminum so for most that would do quite a bit of damage.

The guide shoe isn't really wide enough to go across the bead of the rim to the top of the beauty ring. If I get a chance to take a picture and post I will.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not that stealership employed techs are universally superior but generally speaking your ASE cert’d techs are at least technically capable and if they have put that much time and effort in, are generally caring. Tire shops have earned a reputation for a lack of caring.

Yes, this may be a generalization, but there are legion of people who’ve suffered varying degrees of trouble at the hands of tire shops. I’m reminded of the FRF who had multiple lugs impacted on to the studs, stripping them, requiring them to be forcibly removed / replaced, damaging the wheels, rotors, studs and lug nuts. That reminded me of the tire shop I caught doing the same thing to my Mustang after explicitly telling them not to.

I hope using previous life experience to assess that I should be wary of tire shops doesn’t place me in the high and mighty category, but if so, I’m ok with it. I did use Discount Tire to RF balance my last set of KO2’s and they did a credible job, even though I was wary of the potential outcome.

badclam

Reaction score
Are you guys with OEM beadlocks removing the rings before taking them to a shop for tire replacement?
The OEM "beadlocks" are just for looks, and should be taken off to change the tire, or you run the risk of having them scratched up, or get charged for their time to remove and replace them. Since they serve no purpose except looks, there's no reason you can't remove and re-install them yourself.

badclam

Reaction score
Recons look great but not rated for snow and not reviewed well on wet roads, so being in Colorado I went with the Falken's Wildpeak AT/3 W and couldn't be happier. Yes, a little bit heavier but they have the deepest tread and ride well with little road noise.
I run Falken 35" Wildpeak AT/3 load range E, on all our companies Superdutys. Best all around bad weather road AT tire made, IMO. So so, like all ATs off road, but aired down they do okay. Just too heavy for the Raptor I'm told, so we went with the 35" KO2s in load range "E" instead of load range "C" that come from the factory.