Tire recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you looked at the AT3 XLT?

I'm torn. They actually just updated it with a new compound, and another Gen 2 owner says it is better than the K02s in every condition so far.

However, I constantly encounter mud, and while I've been pleased enough with the K02s performance there (funny, huh?) I would like a bit more bite. The AT3 would probably be equivalent the KO2 in mud and general offroad (much better on road) but I'm willing to trade a bit extra noise for more bite offroad. But yeah, I've been bouncing back and forth. Probably will reach out to Cooper before I place my order, see what they say. But I suspect I'll be getting the Maxxes, as I keep coming back to them every time.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm torn. They actually just updated it with a new compound, and another Gen 2 owner says it is better than the K02s in every condition so far.

However, I constantly encounter mud, and while I've been pleased enough with the K02s performance there (funny, huh?) I would like a bit more bite. The AT3 would probably be equivalent the KO2 in mud and general offroad (much better on road) but I'm willing to trade a bit extra noise for more bite offroad. But yeah, I've been bouncing back and forth. Probably will reach out to Cooper before I place my order, see what they say. But I suspect I'll be getting the Maxxes, as I keep coming back to them every time.
The Maaxxes will probably be good for you. I've read that they aren't that good in snow but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between duratracs and St maxxes cuz of the light weight. They will be a great combination with the already light venomrex wheels. Otherwise I think id be going ridge grapplers.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone told me extreme heat (Houston) would eat through the duratracs. Is this true? Would the ST Maxx be a better choice for us in the south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone told me extreme heat (Houston) would eat through the duratracs. Is this true? Would the ST Maxx be a better choice for us in the south?

Haven't heard that, but the Duramax is the tire of choice for snow and ice. The penalty is higher noise, closer to an MT.

My friend who has run most ATs lives in North Texas and his favorite is the Maxx.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a lot more choices now. I value road ride and quietness, no snow or off road use but like the look of the KO2 .

Any consensus on a street tire that rides well and lasts longer than the KO2's?

Think I'm leaning towards the ridge grapplers

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot more choices now. I value road ride and quietness, no snow or off road use but like the look of the KO2 .

Look no further!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was in the market right now I'd probably go with STT Pros. I like them better than ST Maxxes and they are $45 each cheaper than ST Maxxes at DTD. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro/p/11478

While I understand they are quiet for a M/T, they are noticeably noisier than the other options here, from what I've seen. I've thought about those too, but I don't want to deal with the M/T howl. Wish I could get a good comparison on our trucks. I know several guys running them in Houston and they will run nothing else.

Pretty much any tire you choose will last longer than the load range C KO2s that come stock. Given your parameters, you'll be looking at a hybrid at max. So the hybrids (most aggressive you'll want to go) are the Ridge Grapplers, Toyo RT, or ST Maxx. Keep in mind the RGs and Toyos are much heavier than stock, and will noticeably impact performance and fuel efficiency. The ST Maxx is also heavier, but much less so.

Else, you've got a few 50/50 and or 70/30 tires. If you like your K02s enough, you can go load range E, which will wear a lot longer, might be a bit more stiff. There's quite a number of 70/30 tires you can find.