Tire pressure gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dirtlvr

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought those to try out. They worked great for checking/setting tire pressure. I then installed my factory valve caps on them. The next day all my tires were low. The factory caps must push down on the top of these just enough to allow them to slowly leak air. I don't think you are supposed to run caps on these and that was my mistake. Instructions in link don't say anything about putting a cap on. But like you, I was trying to avoid seeing chrome. Maybe there are some different caps out there with a flat profile that will work with these?

Otherwise maybe try the "economical" DS-P version which are black and plastic, but I can only find them in 50 count & still have a chrome center head

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you still put dust caps on? I am tired of two pointer finger removal of dust caps already! Would have to switch to black since they would probably be visible on my chrome free truck.
No dust caps .Like mentioned below they will slowly release all your air!

787Jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great option, if only they had a black version. Just replaced the lug nuts to get rid of the chrome.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I sold cars we would try to sell them right off of the truck after service had closed or on a Sunday. There is a whole checklist of pre-delivery items that a service tech is supposed to do to make a vehicle ready for the sales lot. If you're handy and have a friend as the service manager you can sometimes get away with pulling the vehicle into a service bay and doing it yourself. Fluid checks, pull a spare fuse and place it in it's correct slot before doing an electronics/dash check, and adjusting the PSI in the tires. A few other rando things like putting 2 rubber stop plugs in the floorboard/frame that can later be removed in the event of interior flooding. Then it magically gets signed off the next morning and everyone is happy. Especially the service department because they invoice 1.5 hours of labor to the sales department for that.

Now imagine me as a sales guy frantically doing all that while, you, the customer is in the finance office signing docs and declining interior protection options. And remember it is after hours, so I also have to "wash" the vehicle myself, and fill it with fuel down the street before you get done. I might have "forgotten" to remove 25 PSI from each tire and a month later everyone is no longer happy when the customer realizes that they have been cruising around on rock hard tires because I'm either a dumb^ss or lazy. Not that I ever did that. Just heard stories or something.

Edit: A portion of service techs are also fools and or hate their jobs and "forget" to deflate tires also. That's the lion's share of theses issues.