Tips on pulling cars (rescue) out of ditch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just take it easy on the pulls. Make sure to keep an eye on the car once you get it unstuck. It may continue to slide so be ready to take move forward.

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been reading up and most advised not to pick up a tow strap with a metal hook...

My question is, what to do when all I have is the D rings that require a hook? And before you guys say just loop it in, what if the other car has the same?

Loops without shackles

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but are you just going to pull out random people or do you have friends that are stuck in ditches?

Pulling out with winches is much more desirable in very slippery conditions.

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but are you just going to pull out random people or do you have friends that are stuck in ditches?

Pulling out with winches is much more desirable in very slippery conditions.

Well we are about to be hit by some ice and snow.. A couple of buddies have been out helping in the past. Was going to help out tomorrow

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been reading up and most advised not to pick up a tow strap with a metal hook...

My question is, what to do when all I have is the D rings that require a hook? And before you guys say just loop it in, what if the other car has the same?

Loops without shackles

If I understand your question...

You can put the recovery strap through one vehicle's D-ring and put the other end through the recovery strap's loop. You'd use a shackle at the other end of the recovery strap if that vehicle also has a D-Ring.

Otherwise you can use 2 shackles, one at each end of the recovery strap.

38515_full.jpg

You don't want to use any two strap with a metal hook, etc. on the ends because if/when an end lets go, that thing is a flying missile that can badly damage a vehicle and/or badly hurt someone.

20-ton-4-metre-heavy-duty-tow-strap-strop-kit-with-towing-shackles-1582-p.jpg

Don't use a ball hitch to tow!

Don't be in a hurry and think through what you're doing. It's fun helping people but things can go (very) wrong and vehicles can be damaged and people can get hurt. Be careful and have fun!

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I understand your question...

You can put the recovery strap through one vehicle's D-ring and put the other end through the recovery strap's loop. You'd use a shackle at the other end of the recovery strap if that vehicle also has a D-Ring.

Otherwise you can use 2 shackles, one at each end of the recovery strap.

38515_full.jpg

You don't want to use any two strap with a metal hook, etc. on the ends because if/when an end lets go, that thing is a flying missile that can badly damage a vehicle and/or badly hurt someone.

20-ton-4-metre-heavy-duty-tow-strap-strop-kit-with-towing-shackles-1582-p.jpg

Don't use a ball hitch to tow!

Don't be in a hurry and think through what you're doing. It's fun helping people but things can go (very) wrong and vehicles can be damaged and people can get hurt. Be careful and have fun!

This was the route I was planning on going with. Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I will be taking it slow..

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gusapy7a.jpg
A friend got stuck in this plowed parking lot lol 2wd chevy

I bought a three way ball hitch and welded a recovery hook on the blank side, choke one end around the stuck vehicle and put the loop over the hook. Works great. For that tiny tiny little dusting of snow and ice you guys are supposed to get it shouldn't take much to pull anyone out. Just make sure you always pull in drive never attach to the front of your truck and try to pull in reverse. Also a heavy movers blanket over the strap/rope is a good idea. Unless some one is in really deep shit you wont need to yank just a nice Smith pull

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Doesn't the raptor have two recovery hoops in the front and back? i would of thought you would attach it to yours and use one d-ring on the recovered vehicle even if it was another raptor. No?

Sent using Tapatalk

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I possible, ask the stuck person to make the attacehment to their car or truck, that way if something breaks like a bumper cover or a piece of plastic because of the angle you can look a them and say, "hey you put the stap there" but for some just make sure they know that damage on their end is there problem not yours. If you need a huge tug to get them out and they ar not your friend, leave it to a tow company. Good luck.