timing phaser TSB coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be at v3.3 if it won’t pull it down over Wi-Fi as others mentioned, download it to a flash drive from the ford owner site and install it. I’m surprised the dealer did not update it. Doesn’t make sense.

I'm going to have to do that. Thanks.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. They updated the part numbers in production at the beginning of April 2019. As far as the service parts, they may have implemented them in the depots before the production clean date. This is why some have said that they've had the updated service parts installed before the Service Message was released.

With these new phasers installed, what's the likelihood they will fail again?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With these new phasers installed, what's the likelihood they will fail again?

When a design or supplier issue is identified, the responsible engineering department is required to correct the issue in both production and service. That means an in-depth study of the issue frequency, scope, and root cause in order to determine an actionable resolution. If you have the updated part numbers, you have nothing to worry about.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When a design or supplier issue is identified, the responsible engineering department is required to correct the issue in both production and service. That means an in-depth study of the issue frequency, scope, and root cause in order to determine an actionable resolution. If you have the updated part numbers, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm assuming the parts installed this week are the updated parts. Any chance you seen the invoice I posted on page 2? Curious if they look correct to you.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your Gen 1 holding up? Thinking of getting rid of this truck and getting one.

55k miles trouble free, based on the history report I got and owning the truck the last 2 years. all I've done is top perch, tune, CAI and some small cosmetic changes. overall I couldn't be happier with it, if I want to drive something even faster my wife's Jeep does the trick lol.

If you decide to go to a Gen 1 you won't be disappointed, sure it's not as fast as the Gen 2 but who cares.. at least that's my opinion.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm assuming the parts installed this week are the updated parts. Any chance you seen the invoice I posted on page 2? Curious if they look correct to you.

as I mentioned before:
cam is the same, tensioners are the same, sprockets are the same.
Solenoid is a new-ish part number, consistent with October 2019 repairs.

The old solenoid part number was HL3Z-6M280-A
The only other user I’ve seen post the new solenoid p/n was @Asdjonasd

Assuming the SSM @FordTechOne posted is accurate in description, etc. the solenoid being a defective part could cause or contribute to the cold soak start up noise, commonly attributed to cam phasers. I have no reason to doubt it, my concern would be this may not be the only part that is eventually superseded.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I mentioned before:

Assuming the SSM @FordTechOne posted is accurate in description, etc. the solenoid being a defective part could cause or contribute to the cold soak start up noise, commonly attributed to cam phasers. I have no reason to doubt it, my concern would be this may not be the only part that is eventually superseded.

Roger that. Thank you.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as I mentioned before:

The SSM I posted is not a description, it is verbatim. The causal parts are the VCT phasers, which are the camshaft sprockets. No issue with the VCT solenoids was identified, which is why solenoid replacement is not included in the message.