timing phaser TSB coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisL

Reaction score
What year is it? Do you have the 802A with Tech package? If so, it should have always displayed the miles-to-empty. If not, then the dealer loaded incorrect firmware for you.

Also, the temp gauge should NOT rise up that high, EVER, unless there is a serious problem. Indeed you have a serious problem. The thermostat is bad, the shutter actuator is bad, or more likely your dealer f*cked it up via their VDS firmware loading. Maybe you bought a used truck where the previous owner ****** it up with FORScan...?

Its a 2018 and yes, I have the 802A. I never had the flashing before the reprogram and I never had the MTE reading above the fuel gauge. I always had to go thru the screen to get that. I was pulling a small 2000 pound camp trailer and an ATV in the bed when I first noticed it. Again, they told me the PCM didnt take the new program so they ordered a new PCM and after 10 days and the field rep coming by, they got the new program to take. But the temp flashing still occurs. It flashed 234 this weekend. No other lights or errors come on and the truck runs and drives just fine. Its strange

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Its a 2018 and yes, I have the 802A.....But the temp flashing still occurs. It flashed 234 this weekend. No other lights or errors come on and the truck runs and drives just fine. Its strange

Ok. Yes, a 2018 doesn't display the MTE above the fuel gauge unless enabled with FORScan or the VDS tool. There are several other changes you can make with FORScan if you desire. Like showing the Engine Coolant Temp above the idiot gauge all the time, so you can follow the fluctuations that occur during normal ops.

It sounds to me that the reason the dealer couldn't get the program to load initially is that it's incorrect for your vehicle(obviously). There are different calibrations for each model year and many times with Ford, changes within a model year. The ECT sensor may or may not be reading correctly if the voltage equation is incorrect. The field rep likely has an override code to make changes.

I would go to a DIFFERENT dealer, tell them what's going on and ask them to flash the correct calibration program to the truck. It's obviously incorrect for your truck.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Ok. Yes, a 2018 doesn't display the MTE above the fuel gauge unless enabled with FORScan or the VDS tool. There are several other changes you can make with FORScan if you desire. Like showing the Engine Coolant Temp above the idiot gauge all the time, so you can follow the fluctuations that occur during normal ops.

It sounds to me that the reason the dealer couldn't get the program to load initially is that it's incorrect for your vehicle(obviously). There are different calibrations for each model year and many times with Ford, changes within a model year. The ECT sensor may or may not be reading correctly if the voltage equation is incorrect. The field rep likely has an override code to make changes.

I would go to a DIFFERENT dealer, tell them what's going on and ask them to flash the correct calibration program to the truck. It's obviously incorrect for your truck.

Ok great. Thanks for the advice. It makes me nervous seeing that reading and now, I am watching that gauge ALL the time. I just dont want anything to give out or blow up. Thanks again!

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
One more question... Does it only happen when you're starting out towing the load from cold start? If so, that will explain why it's hitting a high peak before dropping down. You really need to monitor the ECT value as it rises and falls.

If the thermostat is still closed when you begin asking for high Load, the ECT can spike. The thermostat isn't a switch, it's a gradual opening to the full amount and the OEM calibration waits for the ECT to get pretty high before the shutters open. So, it all comes together slower than the ECT rises IF you run at high Load right from a cold start...

ChrisL

Reaction score
One more question... Does it only happen when you're starting out towing the load from cold start? If so, that will explain why it's hitting a high peak before dropping down. You really need to monitor the ECT value as it rises and falls.

If the thermostat is still closed when you begin asking for high Load, the ECT can spike. The thermostat isn't a switch, it's a gradual opening to the full amount and the OEM calibration waits for the ECT to get pretty high before the shutters open. So, it all comes together slower than the ECT rises IF you run at high Load right from a cold start...

It does it when the truck is warm. I get on it, let those turbos spool up and when I let off the gas, thats when the temp flashes. It stays for a few seconds and goes away. Sometimes it will flash 231, 236, 239, 240. etc etc and then go away. Before they replaced the PCM and reprogrammed it, it went to 249. Nothing else happened

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
It does it when the truck is warm. I get on it, let those turbos spool up and when I let off the gas, thats when the temp flashes. It stays for a few seconds and goes away. Sometimes it will flash 231, 236, 239, 240. etc etc and then go away. Before they replaced the PCM and reprogrammed it, it went to 249. Nothing else happened

Ok. The indications you are seeing are NOT normal. There's only two items at this point that would cause that and NO other issues. The engine thermostat and/or the ECT sensor itself. The shutters are controlled by the ECU(PCM) based on ECT and AC on/off. You should insist that a dealer tech ride with you with their VDS hooked up to monitor the engine temp and the shutter position/command the whole time.

If you don't want the dealer morons to touch it (I don't) then you should invest in a tune/tuner device and utilize FORScan to set up the truck and gauges to be more useful. You can monitor and log pretty much everything you need to keep tabs on everything happening with the truck.

Just for comparison, with the stock thermostat (205 degF) my 2018 has NEVER indicated above ~220 degF EVER. Not during multiple back-to-back drag strip passes, top speed (140mph) runs, etc. I swapped to a 180 degF a little while back, so the ECT now doesn't apply to your situation.

Note that the OEM target temp for the ECT is 210, so it should run around 215-220 degF on the highway. At a steady 80mph w/cruise on mine would run 214-217 degF. There are people here on the forum that have reported up to ~225 .

Crap, I just noticed you're in Colorado. Thin air high country, so your results may vary. Take what I've said so far as maybe not applicable at high altitude. What altitude is this happening? Do you know the barometric pressure? Probably low, around 12 psi or less.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Ok. The indications you are seeing are NOT normal. There's only two items at this point that would cause that and NO other issues. The engine thermostat and/or the ECT sensor itself. The shutters are controlled by the ECU(PCM) based on ECT and AC on/off. You should insist that a dealer tech ride with you with their VDS hooked up to monitor the engine temp and the shutter position/command the whole time.

If you don't want the dealer morons to touch it (I don't) then you should invest in a tune/tuner device and utilize FORScan to set up the truck and gauges to be more useful. You can monitor and log pretty much everything you need to keep tabs on everything happening with the truck.

Just for comparison, with the stock thermostat (205 degF) my 2018 has NEVER indicated above ~220 degF EVER. Not during multiple back-to-back drag strip passes, top speed (140mph) runs, etc. I swapped to a 180 degF a little while back, so the ECT now doesn't apply to your situation.

Note that the OEM target temp for the ECT is 210, so it should run around 215-220 degF on the highway. At a steady 80mph w/cruise on mine would run 214-217 degF. There are people here on the forum that have reported up to ~225 .

Crap, I just noticed you're in Colorado. Thin air high country, so your results may vary. Take what I've said so far as maybe not applicable at high altitude. What altitude is this happening? Do you know the barometric pressure? Probably low, around 12 psi or less.

Ok, I just left the ford shop and spoke with the mechanic and the owner. The mechanic said the new program has higher parameters and thats the reason this is happening and not to be alarmed. When numbers go to the yellow its a pre-warning and when they go red its starts shut down. If the Raptor overheats, it first reduces power. If it continues it shuts down 3 cylinders. Once it cools down and goes below 3000 rpm's, it resets. I'm a hot rod guy so I work on pre-1955 stuff, so this new 2018 stuff is a mystery to me. Thats what the mechanic told me just 15 minutes ago.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I just left the ford shop and spoke with the mechanic and the owner. The mechanic said the new program has higher parameters and thats the reason this is happening and not to be alarmed. When numbers go to the yellow its a pre-warning and when they go red its starts shut down. If the Raptor overheats, it first reduces power. If it continues it shuts down 3 cylinders. Once it cools down and goes below 3000 rpm's, it resets. I'm a hot rod guy so I work on pre-1955 stuff, so this new 2018 stuff is a mystery to me. Thats what the mechanic told me just 15 minutes ago.

While the mechanic is correct on the overheat strategy, there is still no reason it should be reaching the yellow zone under normal driving conditions, even with high elevation. There is something else wrong (damaged sensor, incorrectly routed hose, etc) if this only started happening after the dealer serviced the truck.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nobody else's truck indicates an over-temp condition like this under normal operation. Your truck is not exhibiting normal behavior. Do not buy that line of bull from the dealer.